How we use your personal information for CCTV purposes at establishments throughout Rhondda Cynon Taf.
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which establishments throughout Rhondda Cynon Taf uses personal information for CCTV purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice.
1. Who we are, what we do.
Throughout Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council, various establishments have installed CCTV inside and / or outside their own buildings / sites, which are managed by a Responsible Council Officer at those premises.
Please note this does not cover public spaces such as town centres. This Privacy Notice relates to independent council establishments / sites who operate their own CCTV systems independently. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Leisure Centres
- Community Centres
- Day Centres
- 3G pitches
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
If a Council building has CCTV installed, it will capture images of anybody who is in or around the premises, for example:
- Members of the public;
- Service users;
- Members of staff;
There is clear signage at all sites operating CCTV to inform anyone visiting the establishment that CCTV is in use.
3. What we will do with your personal information?
The Responsible Officer at each Council site will only access the CCTV footage where there is a valid reason for doing so, for example where there has been an accident, incident or a crime.
CCTV footage will not be accessed by anyone other than the Responsible Officer or another member of staff who has been given authority to do so.
4. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
The purposes for which CCTV would be installed at various premises throughout Rhondda Cynon Taf would be as part of our Public Task and / or Legitimate Interest for purposes which include (but not limited to):
- Ensure the Health & Safety of staff and members of the public
- To prevent or detect crime
- To assist with legal proceedings
- To act as a deterrent
- To protect council property
5. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
CCTV footage will only ever be shared in very specific circumstances. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- When a request is received from the Police as part of investigating a crime;
- Where an individual makes a subject access request to view footage of themselves, however footage will only be released where strict conditions have been met;
- When an insurance company has requested to footage as part of an insurance investigation.
- Where there is a legitimate internal investigation ongoing.
6. How long will my information be kept?
On average, CCTV footage is retained for 31 days, however this may vary depending on the site itself and the CCTV technology used.
7. Your information, your rights
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.
Click here for further information on your information rights and how to exercise them.
8. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how a particular Council site is service using your personal information for CCTV purposes, please contact the site in question either by telephone, email or in writing.