The role of a Carer Champion has been created to help Carers get advice and support more easily, Champions act as a local link point for staff and Carers to get information and advice.
A Carer Champion is a volunteer member of staff who acts as a key contact for Carer information in the department where they work. The Carers Champions are a network of staff members located around our service departments who are leading on Carers issues. Many teams have a designated Carer Champion, who is the link to gather Carer information to cascade to their team and to also share with Carers.
We have Carers Champions in:
- Social Care Teams
- Leisure Centres
- One4All Centres
- Communities First
- Welfare Rights Team
- Fifty Plus Fora
- Housing Departments
- Job Centres
- Children’s Services
- Home Care Service
- Day Centres
The duties of a Carers Champion include:
- Identify & encourage staff in the team to complete the Carer Awareness training package available to all staff.
- Act as a channel for cascading information on the subject of Carers within the work area.
- Promote awareness of the role of Carers.
- Display and maintain supplies of Carers leaflets and posters in the work area.
- Champion and raise awareness of Carers’ issues.
- Highlight developments relevant to supporting Carers within the team.
- Encourage Carers to register as a Carer and sign post to the Carers Support Project.
- Attend Carer Champion training
- Distribute the Carers Champion E-bulletins to brief colleagues.
- To act as a link for the Carers Measure Coordinator.
Carers Measure Coordinator: Carers Support Project
Tel: 0808 100 1801
A Carers Champion is not expected to be an expert on ‘Carers issues’ or provide Carers with one-to-one support. Carers Champions are also identified with NHS departments including GP Practices, hospital wards and pharmacies.
CTUHB Carers Measure Coordinator: Minu Mandora
Tel: 01443 744825
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.