If you qualify for a bus pass but cannot travel by bus without needing someone else’s help, then you may be eligible for assessment for a Companion pass.
You could be eligible if you have;
- Severe learning difficulties,
- Challenging behaviours which require supervision at all times,
- Severe cognitive and mental impairments (including people who have no awareness of risk),
- A combination of severe visual AND hearing loss that prevents independent mobility,
- Difficulties using a wheelchair independently.
If you can answer YES to at least one of the above then you qualify for an assessment for a Companion Bus Pass.
If you cannot answer YES to any of the above, unfortunately you do not currently meet the criteria for a companion pass.
How to apply
You can apply for an eligibility assessment for a Companion Bus Pass by contacting the Council on 01443 425001 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An Eligibility Assessment Form will be sent to your home address.
If you require assistance to fill out this Eligibility Assessment form you can arrange an appointment with your local One4aLL Centre. Here you will be able to collect the form as well as receiving help.
This service is temporarily unavailable online. Please call 01443 425005 to make an appointment.
When you have completed the assessment form it should be sent to:
Integrated Transport Unit
Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC
Tel: 01443 425001
Is there a charge for the pass?
No, the Companion bus pass is issued free of charge, but a charge of £6.60 (there is an additional 2% charge for using a credit card) will be applied for a replacement pass.
What happens once the Council has completed the Eligibility Assessment?
Once your Companion eligibility assessment has been completed, we will contact you to inform you of the outcome. If we agree that you qualify for a Companion pass and you are a current bus pass holder, a Companion pass will be sent to your home address together with a stamped addressed envelope (SAE) for you to return your old pass.
If we agree that you qualify for a Companion pass and you are not a current pass holder we will return your signed Eligibility Assessment Form for a Companion Bus Pass and enclose an Application Form for a Companion Bus Pass for you to complete.
Once you have completed the Application Form for a Companion Bus Pass you will be asked to make an appointment with an advisor at one of the Council's One4aLL Centres.
Book a One4All appointment online to provide evidence and complete your Companion Bus Pass application.
Alternatively you can arrange an appointment by telephoning 01443 425005.
Evidence required for your application
You will need to provide the following evidence at your appointment;
Proof of Eligibility
- The signed, approved and officially stamped Eligibility Assessment Form for a Companion Bus Pass
Proof of Age
- Proof of your date of birth, you will need to provide any one of the following documents: birth certificate, current passport or current driving licence
Proof of Address
- Proof of your address, you will need to provide any one of the following documents: current council tax bill (this financial year), utility bill (last quarter], current driving licence, evidence of rent payments (RCT Homes, Housing Association) or recent correspondence from Department of Work and Pensions or Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs
National Insurance Number
- Details of your National Insurance Number (if aged 16 or over)
Passport Approved Colour Photograph
- One passport approved colour photograph. If you prefer, your photograph can be taken for you by a member of staff at one of the Council’s One4aLL Centres. (This is subject to the camera equipment being in working order at the time of your application)
If you are providing a photograph with your Companion Bus Pass Application Form please ensure it meets the following criteria:
- A recent colour photograph which is a true likeness of yourself,
- Taken against a light grey, cream or white background,
- You must be facing forward and looking straight at the camera,
- The photograph must show your full face,
- The photo must be in sharp focus with a strong definition between face and background,
- Where possible it is preferable to remove glasses. However if they must be worn for medical reasons they should not cover the eye, should be free from reflection or glare and must not be tinted.
Please note: If you apply in person at either the Pontypridd or Aberdare One4aLL Centres, staff will be able to issue your new bus pass during your visit (this is subject to the equipment being in working order at the time of your application). If you apply at one of the other One4aLL Centres, your bus pass will be sent to your home address within 7 days of your application. For enquiries about late delivery, contact 01443 425001 or email: email@example.com
I have received my Companion pass – what happens with my old pass?
A stamped addressed envelope will be enclosed with your Companion bus pass to enable you to return your old pass to the Integrated Transport Unit. If the envelope is not enclosed please contact the Council on 01443 425001 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request another one to be sent to you.
What if I am unhappy with the outcome of my Companion Eligibility Assessment?
The Council’s First Response Team would have assessed your application and taken into account all the facts that we have; this may include medical information and/or details which you have supplied relating to your disability.
If you are unhappy with the decision made regarding your Companion Eligibility Assessment for the bus pass you can challenge the decision. However in doing so, you would need to indicate the grounds on which you wish to appeal and also provide further evidence that was not known at the time of your application. This information should be forwarded in writing to:
Representation and Complaints Unit
Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC
Dinas Isaf East Williamstown Tonypandy
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.