There is no statutory requirement to provide transport for post 16 learners.

Rhondda Cynon Taf has, however, decided that learners who meet the criteria in respect of secondary learners of statutory school age, and who enrol for approved study courses within the appropriate 14-19 area timetabled provision, will be eligible for free transport.

Learners within the 2-mile distance are expected to make their own travel arrangements. The area timetabled provision excludes higher education courses.

This transport policy covers school 6th form and college further education courses only and does not extend to higher education courses funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW). (The one year Foundation Art & Design course at the University of Glamorgan is not funded by HEFCW and transport may be provided to learners pursuing this course subject to the age and distance criteria set out above).

For learners with special educational needs, transport may be made available until the end of the academic year in which they attain their 19th birthday. Travel arrangements in respect of any subsequent attendance are at the discretion of the learning provider.

No provision will be made by Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council for learners with special educational needs following the academic year that any such learner attains their 19th birthday.

Where the course continues into subsequent years, the learner will be entirely responsible for arranging and funding their transport needs for continued attendance.

No transport will be provided for mainstream learners beyond the second academic year after the end of compulsory education.

How do I apply for a bus pass to College?

Apply for a College Bus Pass Online
Please note: 3 passport sized photographs will also have to be submitted to the COLLEGE at the time that you complete your application form.

When do I get my pass?

Passes are ordered by the Integrated Transport Unit and delivered directly to the college within 21 days of receipt of completed application. No transport is provided during the 21 day application period.  The process does not commence until the date that the Integrated Transport Unit receives your correctly completed application form. You will need to pick up and sign for passes once they have been received by Student Services.  Any unused season tickets that are not returned will be charged for and you will receive an invoice.

Do I qualify for free transport if my course is outside Rhondda Cynon Taf?

Transport provision may be made for learners pursuing approved full time courses at Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot and Ystrad Mynach colleges. Details of the approved courses are available from:

School Improvement Team

Education and Lifelong Learning Department,

Ty Trevithick


Mountain Ash

CF45 4UQ

Tel: 01443 425001 

Learners who wish to pursue a study course other than within their area timetabled provision will be responsible for their own transport arrangements, except where the location at which the course is available is closer to the learner’s home than the school or college offering the area timetabled provision.

How do I get to College?

Transport is provided by either contracted bus or a season ticket for use on the local public transport services.  The Council determines the most appropriate transport arrangements for you.  If you are in receipt of a concessionary bus pass you will not be ordered a season ticket as you are already entitled to travel free on public transport.

Can I have a season ticket instead of a contract bus pass?

The Council determines the most appropriate transport for you and if you have been allocated with a contract bus pass you will not be able to travel on public transport, unless you pay for it yourself.

Can I have a contract bus pass instead of a season ticket?

Season tickets are allocated if a contract bus is not providing transport in your area.  If you want to travel on a contract bus you would have to apply to purchase a seat and if successful pay the fee and return your season ticket or you will be charged.

If I am not eligible for transport will I be able to purchase a seat on a bus?

You can apply to purchase a seat on a contracted bus via ‘Apply for It’ on the Council’s website.  It is a first come first served process and capacity to sell vacant seats usually cannot be determined until after the start of the new Academic Year as applications are still being received from eligible students.  Seats cannot be purchased on public transport.

I have lost or damaged my contract bus pass

If you lose or damage your contract bus pass please contact the Integrated Transport Unit.  A replacement will be order at a cost to you.

I have lost or damaged my season ticket or train pass

If you lose or damage your season ticket or train pass please contact the issuing company directly.  They will issue a replacement but there will be a cost to you.  Train tickets are only replaced ONCE in a 12 month period.  Do not contact the Integrated Transport Unit for a replacement season ticket or train pass.

Can I apply for transport at any time?

New applications are not considered after the end of the Summer Half Term (Whitsun).

What mode of transport will I receive if I have Special Educational Needs?

If you qualify, transport will be provided on a contract bus or you will be provided with a season ticket for use on public transport.  The provision of specialist transport is granted under exceptional circumstances only. You may also be required to undergo travel training so you can catch a contract bus or public service bus independently. Please contact Student Services at the college to confirm transport arrangements before you enrol.

How do I obtain further information?

You will need to contact Student Services at the college for any additional information you may require.

The Welsh Government administers the My Travel Pass scheme which provides discounted travel on public transport for 16-18 year olds across Wales. Further information about the My Travel Pass scheme is available directly from the Welsh Government, as follows:-

Information for public transport services is available from Traveline Cymru, as follows:-

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.