Who is eligible?
- the Welsh Government provides a one-off school uniform grant (currently to the value of £105) to pupils entering Year 7 of secondary schools in Wales who are claiming free school meals
- pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units in Wales who are aged 11 at the start of the school year and who are claiming free school meals.
No application to receive this grant is required by parents.
The grant will be allocated in the form of a cheque, uniform pack or voucher to a nominated uniform supplier and available from your child's secondary school. Please contact your school for further details.
Free School Meal Eligibility
A free school meal is available to children whose parents have applied for Free School Meals, who are in receipt of any one of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Job Seekers' Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (but not if you are also receiving Working Tax Credit) and your joint Annual Taxable Income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) is £16,190 or less per annum (this figure is subject to change in April of each year)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- State Pension Credit (Guarantee Element
- supported under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- to obtain a copy of the Free School Meals application form you should contact the school office or the FSM Section directly at Bronwydd House, Porth, CF39 9DL
- alternatively, if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit you can make a telephone application by contacting 01443 680363
- if you would like any further information about school clothing grants, please contact the school your child will be attending
School Uniform Provision
The provision of distinctive school clothing is a discretionary award and as such each individual primary and secondary school decides the value of the allowance and how it is provided.
Some schools provide a school clothing allowance for pupils whose name appears on the Free School Meals Register from reception to Year 11.
Depending on the school, these allowances can be in the form of cheques, uniform packs and vouchers to a nominated uniform supplier.
Alternatively, if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit you can make a telephone application by contacting 01443 680363.
If you would like any further information about school clothing grants, please contact the school your child will be attending.
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.