Housing Benefit - Discretionary Housing Payments

What are Discretionary Housing Payments?

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are a top-up to benefit, and are considered if someone needs extra help with their housing costs. Any payment awarded is made in addition to any Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit that has been awarded.

There is only a certain amount of money to spend on these payments, so an application is required in order to decide if a DHP can be made.

Discretionary Housing Payments are only available as short-term assistance, not a long-term solution.

What can Discretionary Housing Payments cover?

Discretionary Housing Payments can cover:

  • a shortfall between the Housing Benefit award and your rent
  • a shortfall between the Council Tax Benefit award and your Council Tax liability.

Discretionary Housing payments cannot cover:

  • increases in rent due to rent arrears
  • any shortfall between Second Adult Rebate and Council Tax liability
  • benefit that has been suspended because you have failed to supply the information necessary for your claim
  • any reduction in benefit as a result of non-attendance at a work-focused interview, a Job Seekers Allowance employment sanction or failure to comply with the Child Support Agency in arranging maintenance
  • charges for water and sewerage.

Who can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment?

To be eligible for a DHP, you must be receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit, and you must satisfy us that you require further help with your housing costs, by providing proof of your income and expenditure.

You cannot apply if you do not receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit. Please note that if you are getting Housing Benefit but do not get Council Tax Benefit, you will not be able to get assistance with your Council Tax. If you are getting Council Tax Benefit but do not get Housing Benefit, you will not be able to get assistance with your rent costs. You will not be able to get a DHP if you are already getting full benefit.

How can I apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment?

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment by completing the Discretionary Housing Payment Application Form [enter link]. You will need to send this into us with as much supporting evidence as possible.

Funds for DHPs are limited, so not all applications will be successful. If the application is from someone acting on your behalf, please make this clear on the form.

How will it be paid?

If your claim is successful, payment will be made along with your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit. It will normally start from the Monday following receipt of your application.

What do I do if my circumstances change?

You must inform us as immediately if your circumstances change as we may need to revise your DHP award. If the change means that you have received monies to which you are not entitled you may be asked to pay it back.

Examples of changes that must be reported are:

  • when Income Support or Job Seeker's Allowance stops or starts
  • when you move address
  • when you have any changes in your income or savings (up or down)
  • when someone moves in or out of your home.

This list cannot cover everything. If you don't know whether a change in your circumstances will affect your DHP award, please tell us anyway.

What should I do if I don't agree with your decision?

Discretionary Housing Payments are made outside of the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit scheme and therefore there are no statutory appeal rights. However, if you disagree with the decision you can write and ask us to look at your application again.

You must contact us within one month of the date on the decision letter, giving the reasons why you disagree. You can phone, write to us or visit us and ask us to explain the decision and/or request a written statement of reasons, which will show more information about the decision. Initially the Benefits Manager will consider such requests.

Useful Links

To find out what other benefits you may be entitled to click on the Directgov link on the left-hand side of this page.

The following links can provide guidance, legislation and case law in relation to Housing and Council Tax benefit.

What offices can accept claims for benefit?

Listed below are the offices designated for receiving Council Tax Benefit and Housing Benefit claims.


Housing Benefits
Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council
Bronwydd House,
CF39 9DL



Housing Advice Centre
11-12 Gelliwastad Road
CF37 2BW


Or one of our One 4 All Centres| |

Contact Information


Telephone: 01443 681081
Fax: 01443 680661
Minicom: 01443 680 708
Email: HousingBenefitEnquiries@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk| |


Offices of RCT Homes Ltd.

Please note RCT Homes Ltd. can only accept application forms from their own tenants.

RCT Homes Ltd.
19 Canon Street
Rhondda Cynon Taf
CF44 7AP

RCT Homes Ltd.
16 Mill Street
Rhondda Cynon Taf
CF39 3AA

RCT Homes Ltd.
Ty Pennant
Mill Street
Rhondda Cynon Taf
CF37 2SW

RCT Homes Ltd.
46 Hannah Street
Rhondda Cynon Taf
CF39 9RA


Cysylltau defnyddiol