Council Tax - Discount & Exemptions

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on:

  • the valuation band your property is in and
  • the number of people aged 18 or over living in your property

When we work out your Council Tax we assume that two people, aged 18 or over, live in most properties.

Apply for Council Tax Discount Online 

Single Person Discount

If only one person, aged 18 or over, lives in your property, we can give you a single person discount of 25% (one quarter).

We may need to decide where someone's main home is for example, if they work away from home or if they have more than one home.

Other Discount Disregards

Some people are disregarded for Council Tax purposes. This means that we will not count them when we decide how many people, aged 18 or over, live in your property.

We may be able to give you a Council Tax Discount if someone in your home is

  • a Student, Student Nurse, Apprentice or Youth Training Trainee
  • a Non-British husband or wife or dependant of a Student (who is prevented by the terms of her / his leave to enter or remain in the UK from working or claiming benefit.
  • under 20 and still at school or has just left school
  • a person who still has Child Benefit paid for them
  • a person who is a Foreign Language Assistant
  • a person who is severely mentally impaired
  • a Carer
  • in prison or held somewhere else by the authorities
  • living in hospital
  • living in a care home
  • a Member of a Religious Community
  • a person who lives in a hostel for the homeless or a night shelter
  • a Member (or dependant) of International Headquarters and defence organisations
  • a Member (or dependant) of a Visiting Force; or
  • a person with diplomatic immunity or privileges.

We can reduce your bill by 25% or 50%, depending on how many people we count as disregarded.

If we count only one person as living in your property with the others disregarded, we can give you a discount of 25%.

If we count nobody as living in your property as everyone is disregarded we can give you a discount 50%.



Council Tax Exemptions

Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. If you own or occupy a property, which is described below, and your bill does not show that an exemption has been granted, please contact the Council for advice.

Apply for a Council Tax Exemption Online 

Unoccupied property exemptions

  • A - Require or are undergoing major repair or undergoing structural alteration (exemption allowed for up to one year only or 6 months from completion of the works, whichever the sooner)
  • B - Are owned by a charity (exemption allowed for up to six months only)
  • C - Are unfurnished (exemption allowed for up to six months only)
  • D - Are left empty by someone who has gone to prison
  • E - Are left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home, or elsewhere
  • F - Are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (exemption continues for up to six months after being granted).
  • G - Are empty because occupation is forbidden by law
  • H - Are waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
  • J - Are left empty by someone who has moved out to provide personal care to another person
  • K - Are owned by a student and were last occupied by that student
  • L - Have been repossessed
  • Q - Are the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
  • R - Are sites for an individual caravan or mobile home, or a mooring
  • T - Are difficult to let because they are linked to, or in the grounds of, another property and may not be let separately from that other property without breaching, planning permission. The liable person must, however, live in the other property to qualify.

Occupied property exemptions

  • M/N - Occupied entirely by students
  • O - That are forces barracks and married quarters. Their occupants will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement.
  • P - Where at least one liable person is a member of a visiting force
  • S - Where all the residents are less than 18 years of age
  • U - Where all the residents are severely mentally impaired
  • V - Where at least one liable person is a foreign diplomat
  • W - Which are annexed to a family home and occupied by that family's elderly or disabled relatives.

These categories are only broad descriptions of the available exemptions. If you believe an exemption should apply to your bill, please contact the Council for advice using the details above.

Please remember, while you are waiting for the outcome of an application, you must continue to pay your current bill. If this causes any problem, please contact us immediately.

Exemptions are reviewed at least once each year. We may ask you to provide information that helps us to do this. Failing to supply this information could mean any entitlement is cancelled.

Please remember, if your circumstances change you must tell the Council within 21 days.   

Contact Information

Council Tax
Bronwydd House
Rhondda Cynon Taf
CF39 9DL

Telephone: 01443 425002
Fax: 01443 680505
Minicom: 01443 680708