A private hire operator's licence is required to enable a person to accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles.
One person can employ/sub-contract an unlimited number of licensed vehicles. However, a licensed private hire driver cannot accept any bookings unless he/she either holds or works for a licensed private hire operator. Each operator will be allowed up to 8 vehicles per licence .An operator may pass a booking to another licensed private hire vehicle operator provided that the operator is also licensed by the Licensing Authority
The Licensing Authority does not regulate fares for private hire vehicles - the cost of a journey should normally be agreed with the company before the journey.
Members of the public have initial contact with the operator and make the contract with them even if the operator does not provide the vehicle and/or the driver.
Before a licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the Licensing Authority that:
- he/she is a fit and proper person to hold a licence;
- he/she has attained the age of 21 years;
- he/she must have a criminal records check carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to ensure safety to the public
Application forms can be obtained by contacting us on the details below
Once the application form has been completed, you need to make an appointment to visit our Offices, bringing with you the following documentation:
- the completed application form
- your DVLA Driving Licence (original - not a photocopy) showing your current address
- your passport / birth certificate/ marriage certificate
- details of your National Insurance Number
- History of previous addresses for last 5 years
Applications will not be accepted without production of the above.
Upon production of the above at the licensing office, you will be asked to complete a form to enable us to check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) for any records held against you. Please be aware that we normally allow approximately 4 weeks from receipt of your application for return of these checks.
Once all checks have been completed the appropriate fee will be required before the licence can be issued.
For details of costs please consult the FEES document which can be found under related documents.
If the licence is issued it will be subject to conditions, which can be obtained by contacting us on the details below
Dinas Isaf East
Telephone Number: 01443 425001
Fax Number:01443 425301