Licence - Street Collection

bisimageIt is illegal in this country to hold a Street Collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes without obtaining a Street Collection Licence from the Council if that collection is to be held 'in a street or public place'. A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'.

There is no cost for the issuing of consent but there are rules to be followed in applying. Street Collections are usually made by Charities. Collections usually take place in a town centre on busy shopping days. Money is collected in tins. There are regulations, which govern this type of collection. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities.

The purpose of the legal requirement to obtain consent is to ensure collectors are properly authorised and that money is collected in a secure way and the total proceeds collected are properly accounted for.

Regulation summary

It is often assumed that collections can be held in shop doorways or car parks do not need and Street Collection Licence because they are being held on 'privately owned land'. This is not true, as the legislation does not mention the ownership of the land or treat collections on 'privately owned land' as exempt from the licensing regulations. A shop doorway or car park, when that shop is open for trading, is a 'public place' because the public has access at that time. No other licence would be valid. A Pedlars Licence, issued by the Police cannot be used for this purpose. Only Local Authorities issue Street Collection Licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act.

A return form must be completed following the collection and returned to the Council. This form will be sent to you once your application form has been received. Applicants should familiarise themselves with the Street Collection Regulations (please see related document). Applicants should also seek the permission of the landowner if a collection takes place off the public highway.

Eligibility criteria

  • Has the charity, organisation, fund or individual to benefit been refused a House to House Collections Licence or a Street Collection Permit, or had such Licence/permit revoked?
  • Have you or anyone associated with the appeal been convicted by a Court for any offence which is not spent under the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974?
  • Have you, or to the best of your knowledge, anyone associated with the promotion of the appeal, been refused a House to House Collections Licence or a Street Collection Permit, or had such licence/permit revoked?

Application process

Application forms can be obtained by contacting us or by applying online using the details below:

How to apply

You can now apply for your licence online

Street Collection


There are no fees for this application.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies to these applications.  This means if you have not received a response from licensing services within 28 days, you can assume your application is granted.

Please note however that you must be in possession of a licence to carry out a collection.  If your collection date is approaching and you have not received a licence please contact us in licensing.

Please note: It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them using the details below


We require 28 days notice ahead of the collection.

Appeal process

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

There is no statutory right of appeal, should your application be refused, you have the ability to appeal to the High court.

Complaints / objections

If you have a complaint either about a licence application or regarding our procedures please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425001 and ask for a Licensing Officer.

Public registers

To gain access to the public register please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425001 to make an appointment to view the register at our offices. Alternatively please send an email detailing your request to

Further information

For further information please contact the Licensing Team using the details below:

Contact Us

Licensing Team
Ty Elai
Dinas Isaf East
CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 425001
Fax Number:
01443 425301