Licence - Caravan Site

bisimageTraditionally called static caravans or mobile homes, park homes vary in size and condition greatly, some resemble bungalows; others are closer in appearance to traditional caravans. Most residents own their park homes. Typically residents enter into an agreement to keep their home on the park and pay the owner of the site a pitch fee.

All Residential Caravan sites have to be licensed by the council's Public Health and Protection Service with exception to the following:

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

Site Licensing

The development of park home sites and their physical standards are controlled through planning permission granted for use of land as a 'caravan site', and the site licensing system under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (CSCDA). Under the CSCDA all park home sites (excluding those run by local authorities), must have a site license, issued by the local authority, on a park with relevant planning permission. There is no duty on authorities to inspect and monitor parks. Authorities have the powers to prosecute any failure to comply with license conditions and can carry out works in default, but have no duty to do so.

Public Health and Protection will issue a site licence to the owner of the site once the appropriate Planning Permission has been granted.  Conditions will be attached to the licence to regulate the use, safety and maintenance of the site.   These conditions will be in accordance with the Model Standards issued by the Welsh Assembly and cover the following areas:

  • Maintenance and safety of roads and footpaths
  • Hard standings to caravans/mobile homes
  • Fire fighting equipment, fire points and emergency telephones
  • Fire hazards 
  • Safety and maintenance of electrical installations
  • Water supply
  • Drainage, sanitation and washing facilities
  • Car parking and recreational areas
  • Storage of liquefied petroleum gas
  • Type and condition of caravans/mobile homes

If you are a caravan site occupier you should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, you should send us the licence for re-issue.

If you have recently become a caravan site occupier licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should send us the licence with a request for transfer and we will either endorse or re-issue it.

If you are a potential site occupier you or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for sitting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

Application forms can be downloaded or obtained by contacting us directly. An application for a licence should be accompanied by a scaled site plan showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

Environmental Health staff carry out periodic inspections of licensed sites to check that site-owners are complying with the conditions of their licence.If you are concerned that the conditions attached to a site licence are not being adhered to please contact Public Health and Protection using the options below.

Application process

Application forms can be obtained by contacting us or by applying online using the details below:

Please note: It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them using the details below.

Costs: None

Supporting evidence required: None

How to apply

You can now apply for your licence online, where payment (if required) can be taken electronically or alternatively you can request an application by contacting us using the details below

Residential Caravan Site Licence

Receipt of application notification: 

If making an application online you will receive a notification of receipt of payment once a payment has been successfully made. You will then receive an e-mail notification that your application is being processes.

If an application is sent into our Licensing department you will receive a letter notifying you that the application is being processes along with a receipt of payments made within 7 working days

If you hand an application form into our reception office you will receive a receipt of payment immediately and will receive a letter notifying you that the application is being processes within 7 working days

Appeal process

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance

Any applicant who is refused a licence or wishes to appeal against conditions attached to their licence, can appeal to the local Magistrates' court.

Complaints / objections

If you have a complaint either about the license application or regarding our procedures please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425777 and ask for a Licensing Officer.

Regulation Summary

The Caravan Sites Act 1968

The Caravan Sites Act 1968 gives park home owners protection from harassment and protection from eviction. It stipulates that a site owner needs to go to court to evict a park home owner on a protected site.

“Harassment” in the context of the Act means: a site owner ' illegally depriving occupiers of occupation of their mobile home' or ' carrying out acts designed to interfere with the peace and comfort of an occupier with the intention to cause them to leave'.

The protection against this type of harassment is enforced by Public Health and Protection. Any other form of 'harassment', for example the site owner being abusive or rude can only be addressed by the person affected and cannot be pursued by Council.

Please note: It is only people who own their mobile home and are living on protected sites (i.e. sites with a permanent residential licence) who are covered by the Act.

Holiday sites (i.e. those with a specified open season set in the caravan site licence) are not covered by the Act and thus people who do use a holiday van for residential purposes have no rights of protection under the Act.

Rights as a mobile home owner

As a resident of a mobile home you may be in the unusual position of owning your home but not the land on which it is positioned. There are several pieces of legislation relating to mobile home parks and the rights of residents who live on them. Below you will find brief information on those pieces of legislation that may be relevant to you as a mobile home owner and details of where to get more information.

Mobile Homes Act 1983

If you own your mobile home and live in it on a permanent basis as your only residence, you are protected by the Mobile Homes Act 1983.

The Act sets out the right of park home owners to have an agreement with the site owner allowing them to occupy their home on the site as their main residence. The Act covers other issues including security of tenure, the sale of mobile homes and other details of agreements between site owners and residents. The Act applies to privately owned licensed sites and sites in local authority ownership. The Mobile Homes Act 1983 potentially provides people who own their mobile home with extensive rights.

Unfortunately it is only enforceable through the civil court which means that you must pursue action yourself, usually with the assistance of a solicitor.

Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council is not able to intervene on your behalf.

Please note: The Act does NOT cover people living permanently on Holiday Sites as under the site license no caravan on a holiday site can be used as a persons only residence or abode.

If you are living on a holiday site on a residential basis you thus have no rights under this Act.

Public registers

A full list of all current licensed caravan sites is held by the Council. Arrangements to view the register can be made by contacting

Further information

For more information on Park Homes or Mobile Homes, please visit the Department for Communities and Local Government website (external link) or contact the Private Sector Unit at the Welsh Assembly Government (external link).

A booklet entitled Mobile Homes - A guide for residents and site owners' (external link) explains your rights under the Act and provides other useful information.

Contact Us

Tel: 01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301
01443 425535
SMS: 07781 489133