Help with bereavement

You can get practical advice/help from a funeral director, the family doctor, a solicitor, welfare officers and personnel departments at workplaces, your minister of religion, a social services department or Citizens Advice, a health visitor or district nurse who attended the deceased may also be able to help. If the death was in hospital ask the sister or hospital chaplain. Please also see our Registration Service’s Practical Help for the Bereaved.

Support and Comfort

You may feel that you want more than practical advice/help, and that you need to talk with someone sympathetic who is outside your immediate family or with other people who have been through a similar experience. There are several organisations in England and Wales who offer this kind of support. A list of some of these organisations are given below.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse Bereavement Care has 180 branches and nearly 7,000 volunteers who provide a nationwide service of the highest standard of emotional support, counselling and information to anyone bereaved by death, regardless of age, race or belief. This is a national charity set up to offer free, confidential help to bereaved people. You can contact them at:

126 Sheen Road

Tel: 020 8940 4818
Bereavement Line: 0845 758 5565

The Child Bereavement Trust

This charity has on-line information for young people who have lost someone close.|

Bereavement Direct

This site offers practical guidance on dealing with a bereavement including organising a funeral, registering a death, financial assistance and support services.

Bereavement Direct Webpage|

Bereavement Direct (over 50’s)

Offers practical advice about making a will, what to do when someone dies and Government Assistance.