Elections - Electoral register

Why register?

Getting a mortgage is just one reason you need to be on the electoral register. Having the right to vote is another.

The County Borough Council has 75 councilors representing 52 electoral divisions; The full council comes up for election every four years.

  • If you are not registered you will not be able to vote at Elections.
  • It is a legal requirement to register with a maximum fine of £1,000 for failure to do so. Many of the major credit firms check your address against the Electoral Register and you may be refused a loan, mobile phone agreement, mortgage, bank account etc.
  • It is your chance to have your say about how the Council is run. - Your Vote Counts use it

How do I register?

Electoral Registration forms for the new Register will be delivered to every household in the County Borough during August - September. 

You can now also register to vote online using www.aboutmyvote.co.uk| website.

The Electoral Registration form has printed on it the names of the persons currently shown on the Register of Electors.

To ensure that all eligible members of your household are included in the register you need to check that all the details are correct, if they are simply sign, date and return the form as soon as possible. Do not wait until 15th October. However, if any of the details are not correct please change the names and then sign, date and return the form.

Also include any teenagers who will become 18 before the 1st December in the following year.

British citizens, other Commonwealth citizens, citizens of the Irish Republic and citizens of Member States of the European Union who are resident in the United Kingdom on the qualifying date (15 October) are entitled to be included in the new register.

British, Commonwealth and Irish Citizens will be registered automatically as Local, Parliamentary Welsh Assembly and European Parliamentary Electors.

Citizens of the European Union are NOT eligible to vote at Parliamentary Elections.

If you have not received a form, or you need assistance in completing the form please contact the Election Services Unit

It will be too late to complain on polling day if you discover you are not able to vote, Exercise your right by ensuring your name is included on the new register.

If you have moved since October 15th

A rolling register has now been introduced which means that the register is updated each month, except during September, October and November during the annual canvass period.

If you have moved since October, or have been missed off the register, you need to fill out the online form|, print and send to the address provided below.

Please make sure each person signs the form.

If you are not on the Register of Electors you will not be able to vote at Elections

Do I have to let you know that I have moved?

Yes. If you don't tell us, you will still have a chance to vote at your old address, up to October when the annual canvass is held.

I have already told the Council Tax section will they update the register for me?

No. You need to fill in a form and send it to the Electoral Registration Officer.

What if I have changed my name?

You will need to use the form to update the entry in the Register.

Contact Information

Electoral Services and Land Charges Section
Unit 2 Maritime Business Park,
Maritime Industrial Estate,
CF37 1NY

Tel: 01443 490100
Fax: 01443 485776
Email: electoralservices@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk|