School Admissions - Information and Advice

Find your catchment school.

Enter your postcode below:

Applying Online for a school place

Applications for places in Nursery; Reception; Infant  to Junior /Primary School (Year 3) and Secondary School (Year 7) for September 2016 can be made online by visiting

The online facility is available up until the published deadline for the return of applications. (Please be aware that, due to essential maintenance and back-ups, the online admissions site is not available between 11:30pm and 11:59pm each night)

(Please note that applications for voluntary-aided (church) schools need to be made directly to the required school.  Further information and contact details can be found in the Starting School Booklet.)

For applications to all community schools, please follow the guidance in the links below:


All children are entitled to a part time Nursery place from the start of term following their third birthday.  These places are provided strictly subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed at any school.

For information on making an application, please click here.


All children are entitled to a Nursery place from the September following their third birthday.

For information on making an application, please click here.


Children start the Reception class in Infant or Primary Schools the September following their fourth birthday.

For information on making an application, please click here.

Please note that children who are admitted to a Nursery class will not have an "automatic" right to continue their education within that school.  A new application is required for entry to the Reception class.  There may be occasions when, due to oversubscription, it will not be possible for this transfer to take place.

Primary (Infant/Junior Transfers)

Children in Year 2 of an Infant School need to apply for a place at a Junior or Primary School.

For information on making an application, please click here.


Children start Secondary School in the September following their eleventh birthday.

For information on making an application, please click here.

In Year Transfers (Moving schools during the school year)

Changing school during the school year is a serious step for your child(ren) to take.  In the case of moving the family home, such a decision may well be a necessity.  You will need to contact your local school or the School Admissions Team for advice at this time.  If you decide that you would like your child to transfer from one school to another, please contact their present Headteacher first to alert them of your decision.  Should you wish to proceeed with the transfer arrangements you should contact the School Admissions Team for advice in making your application to the new school.

For information on making an application, please click here.

Admission Appeals

In the majority of cases children are offered places at their parents/carers first choice of school. However, if a child is unable to gain admission to a preferred school, parents/carers may appeal to an Independent Appeal Panel.

Please note that there is no appeal against Pre-nursery or Nursery placements, as this is non-statutory provision.

For further advice/information on admission appeals please refer to the Starting School Booklet or contact the School Admissions Team (see below).

Pupils who hold passports issued outside the UK

If you are seeking admission to a school for a child who holds a passport that was issued outside of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland you must contact the School Admissions Team (see below) for further assistance.  We will require sight of, and must check the original passport / visa documentation before admission to any school can be granted, due to the legal obligation that we have under Section 28 of the Children’s Act 2004 to make arrangements to safeguard and  promote the welfare of children.

Admission to school will be dependent on the details recorded on the passport / visa meeting the regulations as given in the Welsh Government’s School Admissions Code.

Birth Certificates

Prior to your child starting at their new school, you must provide an original copy of your child’s birth certificate to that school, to verify your child’s date of birth.

Further Information

For full details on school admissions please refer to the Starting Schools Booklet .

To view information about a school in your local area including addresses, telephone numbers and Headteacher details, please use our School Finder Service

You can check your catchment school using our Online Catchment Search Facility.

Contact us 

For further information and advice, contact the School Admissions Team:-

Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council
Education and Lifelong Learning
School Admissions
Ty Trevithick
Mountain Ash
CF45 4UQ

Telephone:  01443 744232
E-mail :