Roads - Closure and Diversions - Application Procedure

How to apply for a temporary road closure

Sometimes works on the highway, or events on or adjacent to the highway require a road to be closed temporarily to general traffic. Such closures require a traffic regulation order to be made on a temporary basis by the Council.

Road closures can only be carried out under an Order or Notice which are legal processes. 

How to apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO)?

Complete the Online Application will ensure it's forwarded to the Traffic Management Section for evaluation.



What is the process once the application is submitted?

The application is assessed by the Traffic Management Team. If appropriate a member of the team may requested a meeting with the applicant, officers from the Council’s Traffic Management and/or Streetworks sections, representatives of the Police and emergency services and any bus companies which operate a service in the affected roads, to consider the proposal.

In the event that there are no objections then the process of making of the traffic regulation order will commence. This requires a minimum period of 8 weeks after the date of the meeting. How much notice is needed?

For Planned work  - A minimum of 8 weeks notice is required to introduce a temporary traffic order.

Please note that it is also possible to apply for an Emergency Road Closure, on occasions when a road needs to be closed with little or no notice by the Police or Highway Authority.

In the event of an emergency closure – for example a burst water or gas main it is essential that the Council’s Traffic Management team are advised as soon as possible.

Contact Us

Environmental Services Group
Head of Highways, Transportation and Strategic Projects
Sardis House
Sardis Road
CF37 1DU

Telephone: 01443 425001



Related Documents