If you or someone that lives with you is in receipt of a means-tested benefit and live in a energy inefficient home, the NEST Scheme may be able to help
NEST is the Welsh Government's Fuel Poverty Scheme designed to make private rented and owner-occupied households a warmer place to live. To qualify you need to be in receipt of a means tested benefit and live in an energy inefficiency property assessed as being either an F or G energy rated property.
Energy efficieny ratings of homes ranges from A to G. The most energy efficient homes have an A or B rating.
The least energy efficient homes have an F or G rating. To qualify for home improvements at no cost through the Nest scheme your must live in a F or G energy rated home.
These usually includes homes that are older or harder to insulate such as stone wall properties or homes that do not have cavity walls, larger properties and homes that either have no central heating or are not using mains gas as the main form of heating.
Newer and smaller homes are likely to be more energy efficient but improvements can still be made.
To find out if you qualify you can phone a NEST friendly advisor on freephone 0808 808 2244 free from a landline or a mobile phone or further information is available online from NEST Wales. NEST also offers advice on;
- Saving energy
- Money management
- Making sure you’re on the best fuel tariff for you;
- And whether you are entitled to any benefits to boost your income
You may be eligible for home improvements under the scheme if:
- you own or privately rent your home and;
- you live in a home that is not energy efficient (F or G rated)
- You or someone who lives with you receives a means tested benefit:
- Child Tax Credit: money coming in is below £15,860 a year
- Council Tax Benefit (reductions and discounts do not qualify on their own)
- Housing Benefit
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit: money coming in is below £15,860 a year
What help is available under the Scheme
Energy measures offered under the scheme - at no cost to you depends upon a full home energy assessment and they could include the following:
- a new central heating boiler
- insulation for a hot water cylinder
- loft, cavity wall and solid wall insulation
- draught proofing for doors and windows
- renewable energy technologies such as air source heat pumps.
Even if your home has an energy rating above an F rating NEST can still give you advice on money management and income maximisation, you may also be able to get help with other free or discounted energy measures through referral to other schemes.
If you are interested in the Council's Heat & Save Scheme which offers FREE loft and cavity wall insulation scheme for owner occupiers and private tenants. Further information can be found on the dedicated Heat and Save pages online or to speak to someone at the Council please ring the Private Sector Housing Unit on 01443 425725.