Residential Care for Children

Rhondda Cynon Taf provides both Residential and Aftercare Services for children who are or have been looked after by Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Residential Services

Rhondda Cynon Taf has three children’s homes, each with it’s own statement of purpose and function. These homes are Beddau Community Home, Bryndar Community Home and Treherbert Community Home.

Beddau Community Home

Beddau Community Home is situated in Beddau, Pontypridd. Beddau is a home that provides a long-term provision that can accommodate seven young people aged 13 – 16 on admission (and up to 18 years of age if the young person is in education).

Bryndar Community Home

Bryndar Community Home is situate in Cwmdare, Aberdare. Bryndar is a home that provides long-term care for six young people aged 13 – 17 and one emergency placement for a young person aged 11 – 17.

Treherbert Community Home

Treherbert Community Home is situated in Treherbert, Rhondda Fawr. Treherbert is a home that provides accommodation for five young people aged 14 – 17. This home specialises in helping young people develop independent living skills to enable them to move out of care into the community.

Although the purpose and function of each home may be slightly different as described above, the ethos of providing a positive, safe and caring environment is the same throughout. A range of experiences, activities and interests are encouraged for all young people, besides the promotion of formal education.

Each young person is encouraged to participate in decision-making and is able to access the Children’s Advocacy Service whenever they require further support and assistance.

The homes are staffed 24 hours a day by residential childcare practitioners and managers, including waking night staff. All staff within the homes are supported by a range of professionals and agencies, including health and education.

The homes are managed in accordance with the Children’s Homes (Wales) regulations 2002, the Care Standards Act 2000 and the associated National Minimum Standards. The Care Standards Inspectorate for Wales inspects the homes annually.

If you require any additional information please contact or call us on: 01443 486731

Aftercare Services

As well as providing Residential Services for children, we as an authority also provide an Aftercare Service.

The Aftercare team is responsible for young people aged 16-21 (or in some cases, up to the age of 24,) who have been looked after in Rhondda Cynon Taf.

They offer support on a range of issues that affect young people, including housing, money, training, relationships, health and well-being.

A recent initiative is the ‘Jigsaw Pack,’ an interactive planner which

encourages young people to take control of their lives by planning ahead and setting realistic goals for their independence.

The focus is on practical skills such as cooking, budgeting, DIY and communication. Health issues are also explored and advice given on how to look after oneself once living alone. Each young person has the opportunity to assess what skills they already possess and which skills they would like to gain.

"I liked using the Jigsaw. It helped me talk to my worker about something I had not talked to anybody about for a long time and the result was I had contact with a member of my family that I enjoyed." - Young person leaving care

Within the Aftercare Services, a supported lodgings programme is also run, where you live in a family home, but is different to foster care as you rent a room, have your own money and learn skills to help you cope better in independent living. Most young people stay for 6-12 months before moving on but it all depends on your individual circumstances.

Who can live in support lodgings?

You could be homeless and aged 16 – 17, still in care aged 16 – 17 or a care leaver aged 16 – 21

What will my landlord be like?

Landlords are all different – some will be single while others will have a partner or children living with them.

Where will I live?

There are supported lodging placements throughout Rhondda Cynon Taf

How much money will I have?

It depends. If you are a homeless young person or over 18, you can get benefits or you will be getting paid if you are on a training scheme or in employment.

If you are a care leaver or still in care, the Council will pay you a weekly allowance.

All meals/food are provided by your landlord and included in your rent.

What are my rights?

Sometimes placements brake down and you will have no automatic right to stay in the home if the landlord decides the need to leave. However, we would always try to give you some notice and look for other accommodation for you.

If you have a complaint about the service, this will be investigated. You can have more information about this when you move into supported lodgings.

What if I decide supported lodgings isn’t for me?

That’s fine, it doesn’t suit everyone. Some other type of supported housing might be better for you.

Contact Us

Telephone: 01443 486731