Personal injury

Any hazard in the highway (road or pavement) caused as a result of an accident, damage or vandalism may be considered a risk to the public and could result in personal injury to pedestrians, road users or possible damage to property. The following represent some examples of hazards, which can occur in the highway:Man falling in the street

  • Pot hole damage to the fabric of the carriageway or footway
  • gully or drain cover missing.
  • wall exposing a large drop to the rear on either the pavement or road.
  • pedestrian guard railing protruding into the pavement or road.
  • fencing protruding into the pavement or road.
  • concrete bollard knocked over onto the pavement or road.
  • inspection cover missing or damaged.
  • bridge parapets damaged.
  • oil spillages on the road.
  • lamp columns knocked down, wires exposed or lanterns hanging loose.
  • road traffic bollards knocked down or broken.
  • sign poles knocked down or sign plates hanging loose.
  • traffic signals lights not working or traffic light head broken or hanging loose.
    You can report damage to the highway by either telephoning us, using the contact details above (out of office hours a message gives a telephone number for emergencies).

We require as much of the following information as possible to respond to your report:

  • street name and area.
  • location on street, i.e.; is it near a house number or road junction?
  • description and detail of the damage.
  • your name and a contact number.
  • date and approximate time of damage.
  • persons or vehicle registration responsible for damage (if known).
  • were the police in attendance?

For the most severe hazards we aim to make the damage safe within two hours. Less severe safety defects are treated by the end of the next working day. Other damage is repaired as part of planned programmes of work throughout the year.

When a report of a hazard or damage is received the person taking the report will attempt to identify ownership and establish who is responsible for the damaged property or street furniture from the details provided.

If the damage is clearly not the responsibility of the Council and ownership details can be established we will contact the owner and request that they make the hazard safe within a set timescale. If they are unable to meet this timescale, then the Council will make the hazard safe and recover its costs.

If responsibility cannot be established and the damage or hazard requires making safe, the Council will carry out the work.

The following are some examples of street furniture and property that is not the responsibility of the Council:

  • inspection covers in the pavement or road for example; stop taps, fire hydrants and valve boxes.
  • walls built for non-highway purposes.
  • cellar covers.
  • telecommunication cabinets.

Contact Us

Telephone: 01443 494700