Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before opening.

Additionally if a food business makes, prepares or handles products of animal origin then the food business and its activities may require approval by the council. See our Food Premises Approval page for more information.

How to apply

Register a food business online
To edit the application form you will need a recent version of Adobe Reader

Or alternatively you can:

Print off, or request that an application Form be sent to you (PDF).
The completed form can then be sent or hand deliver to the Food and Health & Safety Team - address at bottom of page.

Please Note: It is an offence to give information that you know is false.

Application process

You must tick all the boxes that apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested.

Food registration is automatically granted provided that the application reaches the Food and Health and Safety Team at Rhondda Cynon Taf County borough Council 28 days prior to the premises opening. If the form is sent to the wrong address, your application will not take effect until it is received at the proper place. If you have business premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Regulation summary

Article 6 of Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 Hygiene of Foodstuffs requires that all food businesses must complete and return a Registration Form to the local authority in which your food business establishment is located prior to opening. As well as this a change of food business operator at a premises, or a food business moving to a new address will require a new registration form to be submitted to, or notification to be given to, the council.

Eligibility criteria

Premises which need to register include any business selling food, which includes drinks. This would include pubs, restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars, market and other stalls, mobile caterers, hot dog and ice cream vans etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent registered premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must register with the authority where the vehicle is kept overnight

Public registers

We will enter the details on a Register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried on at these can be open for inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available and will not be disclosed outside of the Council, Local Government Departments and Government Agencies. The details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

Business advice team

Food and Health and Safety,

Public Health and Protection Division,
Ty Elai, 
Dinas Isaf East, 
CF40 1NY 

Tel:01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.