Wednesday, November 13, 2019
Yellow weather warning for rain in place across our County Borough from 5pm today until 11.45pm tomorrow. This may result in difficult driving conditions, with risk of flooding in some places. If you have any issues, please call our Out Of Hours Emergency number 01443 425011
The Council has crews and resources available to deal with any issues and has taken a number of proactive steps to reduce the risk of flooding – for instance clearing gullies, removing fallen leaves from drains and checking priority culverts throughout the County.
To report any flooding issues over the weekend, call our Out Of Hours number - 01443 425011.
The Council's Streetcare team carry out daily leaf sweeps and regularly inspect over 960 culverts and clean and jet over 90,000 gullies in a bid to minimise flooding as much as possible.
The Council is also asking residents to do their bit, where possible and safe to do so, to help alleviate the risk of flooding. These are small actions which could make a big difference, such as:
Removing leaves and clearing other debris from private drains and properties, as these are often the main culprits of flooding by blocking drains.
- Checking drainage on private properties, and clearing leaves from street gullies where it is possible and safe to do so.
- Putting sandbags in place where necessary, and at properties which are prone to flooding.
- Other important health and safety advice to residents includes:
- Checking that vulnerable/elderly neighbours are safe.
- Driving sensibly in accordance to the weather and road conditions, and avoiding driving in very poor weather conditions.
For information on what do to during a flooding emergency visit the Council's emergency pages or to report any issues call 01443 425011.
Posted on Wednesday 13th November 2019