Digital tablets are to be introduced in Council residential homes to ensure residents can maintain contact with friends and family online.
As a result of social distancing measures taken to protect and shield residents of care homes, family and friends are currently advised not to attend these facilities.
County Borough Councillor Christina Leyshon, Cabinet Member for Adult & Children’s Services, said: “Despite the strict and necessary social distancing measures we all most follow, thanks to digital technology, many people have the ability to maintain face-to-face contact with family, friends and loved-ones, during this uncertain time.
“This contact is hugely important for mental well-being and maintaining a positive outlook, and that is why the Council has sought to provided access to this technology at all our residential care settings.
“Our staff will support and co-ordinate arrangements for residents to maintain contact on a regular basis online, with friends and family through this digital tablets, which will enabled for use from the week commencing April 6 - to support Skype or FaceTime conversations.
“I firmly believe access to this technology will provide the opportunity to brighten everyone’s day from speaking to grandchildren to sharing family news.
“This technology, will assist family and friends of residents of care homes to follow and maintain the visiting restrictions which have been set in place and will encourage everyone to stay safe at home.”
The following facilities will be provided access to this technology from next week (commencing April 6):
- Tegfan Residential Care Home, Trecynon.
- Cae Glas Residential Care Home, Hawthorn.
- Troedyrhiw Residential Care Home, Mountain Ash.
- Ferndale House Residential Care Home, Ferndale.
- Bronllwyn Residential Care Home, Gelli.
- Pentre House Residential Care Home, Pentre.
- Parc Newydd Residential Care Home, Talbot Green.
- Dan y Mynydd Residential Care Home, Porth.
- Clydach Court Residential Care Home, Trealaw.
- Garth Olwg Residential Care Home, Church Village.
- Ystradfechan Residential Care Home, Treorchy.
Family and friends wishing to take advantage of this technology are advised to contact the respective homes.
Posted on Friday 3rd April 2020