Universal Credit was rolled out in Rhondda Cynon Taf on 21st March 2016 and now replaces six of the main means tested benefits for working age people.

Universal Credit is the new benefit for people of working age and replaces:

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit

Single new job-seekers in Rhondda Cynon Taf can now claim Universal Credit, instead of the above benefits, providing they meet all of the conditions making them eligible. 

If you aren't a single new job-seeker, you should still claim any benefits you're entitled to, and wait for information about when you will move over to Universal Credit. 

Universal Credit will not replace the following benefits, which will continue as normal:

  • Contributory Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance / Personal Independence Payments
  • Child Benefit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Help with Council Tax

Residents of Rhondda Cynon Taf have been able to make a claim for Universal Credit since March 2016. The new scheme will gradually be implemented to be completed by 2020/21.

If you are receiving Universal Credit then you still need to make an application for Council Tax Reduction with us. If you wish to apply online then please apply using the following link  www.rctcbc.gov.uk/ctaxreduction , or alternatively ring 01443 425002 for an application form.

If you are claiming Universal Credit you can use an online money manager to help you manage your finances.

Find out more, see if you are eligible or view how to claim for Universal Credit

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council

Email: housingbenefitenquiries@rctcbc.gov.uk

Tel: 01443 425002

Organisations that provide advice and information about benefits

Billions of pounds of means-tested benefits go unclaimed every year. Understanding what you are entitled to and making a claim can seem complicated, but there are organisations that can help you.

  • Gov.uk have a useful overview of the various benefits available, who can claim them and how to apply. 
  • Department for Work and Pensions have help and advice online and also via their Benefit Enquiry Line (free phone) - 0800 882200.
  • If you have a Social Worker or Care Manager, they may give you advice on benefits that you should be claiming, and may be able to help you to fill in the forms. 
  • Age Connects Morgannwg http://www.acmorgannwg.org.uk/  
    Telephone 01443 490650
  • Citizens Advice Bureau https://citizensadvice.citizensadvice.org.uk/rtcab.htm
    Advice line (land lines) - 03444 77 20 20
    Admin line - 01443 409284 / 01443 477113
  • The Discretionary Assistance Fund in Wales: The Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) in Wales has replaced parts of the Social Fund previously run by the Department for Work and Pensions formerly known as 'crisis loans' or 'community care grants'. DAF payments are to meet one-off costs rather than on-going expenses. There is more information on this at: Discretionary Assistance Fund for Wales and at Money Made Clear Wales
  • The Money Advice Service can help you to budget with handy guides on how to budget on a low income.
  • Public Access PC's - If you don't have access to a computer then all our Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries have PCs that are available to use for free.

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.