The Purpose of the Scheme is to enable you to provide grant assistance to families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes;
- School sports kit including footwear;
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationery;
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
This is not an exhaustive list and discretion will be required using local knowledge, within the parameters of the principles of the Scheme, especially in relation to enrichment activities; specialist equipment and equipment for out of hour’s trips. Additional discretion may be appropriate at present given the COVID-19 situation.
Where there is alternative funding already available, for example the Discretionary Assistance Fund, the Welsh Government would not expect to duplicate assistance. Therefore, you will be expected to consider other potential funding programmes and schemes when taking judgements on eligible items under this Scheme.
IT equipment, such as mobile phones and ipads are also excluded from this funding.
The Funding is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals entering:
- Reception class of maintained primary schools in September 2020;
- Year 3 of maintained secondary schools in September 2020;
- Year 7 of maintained secondary schools in September 2020;
- Year 10 of maintained secondary schools in September 2020; or
- pupils in special schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or aged 11in September 2020.
The Funding is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age. In a change from the previous years arrangements, the local authority in which the looked after child attends school is responsible for using the grant.
Pupils with no recourse to public funds entering reception; Year 3; Year 7; and Year 10 in the 2020-21 school year are entitled to assistance under this Funding.
Pupils who receive Free School Meals due to transitional protection arrangements do not qualify for this funding.
Funding of up to £125 is available for each eligible learner with the exception of those in Year 7. Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.
You will need a personal key-code to process your application. If you do not have this and you think you may be entitled to the grant, please contact your school in the first instance.
Apply for grant online
If you have any issues with the application process, please email PDGAccess@rctcbc.gov.uk
View Free School Meal entitlement details
Alternatively, if parents or carers are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit, telephone applications can be made by contacting 01443 680363.
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.