Childminding remains a popular and rewarding career choice for those who want to work with children aged 0-14, offering flexibility and the chance to work from your own home.

Because you are self-employed, you can set your own working hours and rates and work for yourself to develop a successful, reputable business providing care, nurture and early education.

If you become a registered childminder in RCT you can develop your career with nationally-recognised qualifications and  become part of the RCT Quality Assured Childminding Network where you will receive extra support and training from your Network Coordinator.

The process to becoming a registered childminder is detailed below. Please be assured there is support at every step of the process on offer from your local Childminding Development Worker, who can be contacted using the information on this page.

  1. Find out if childminding is for you by attending a  Briefing Information Session and completing the questionnaire to establish if it is the career for you.
  2. Secure a space on the next available Pre-Registration Course. These are compulsory and cost around £150, but you may be able to secure assistance towards this cost. Contact us to find out more.
  3. Complete the application form to register as a childminder. The application form can be downloaded from the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) website and is made up of two parts - section one is about your premises, you and everyone living at your address while the second section requires evidence of how you will meet the Regulations and National Minimum Standards for Regulated Child Care (NMS). We have FREE mentoring sessions to help you through this process. Please remember completed applications must be submitted in person to the CSSIW offices in Merthyr Tydfil.
  4. CSSIW will go through your application and carry out all relevant checks. This can take up to 16 weeks and, when complete, an inspector will visit to check your premises and discuss your application. Before this visit, you must have passed the Pre-registration course assignment, completed a first aid course and have in place public liability insurance.
  5. If successful, CSSIW will issue you with a registration certificate enabling you to work as a registered childminder.

If you would like further information on becoming a registered childminder you can contact your local Childminding Development worker contact;

RCT Childminding Department

Early Years & Family Support Services,

Ty Trevithick


Tel: 01443 744373

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.