Skip to main content

NHS and Social Care Financial Recognition Scheme

On 17 March the Minister for Health and Social Services announced a one-off payment for NHS and social care staff of £735 per person. This amount covers the basic rate of tax and national insurance contributions and after deductions most people will receive £500.

The scheme has been introduced to recognise and reward the hard work and commitment of NHS and social care staff who have provided essential care to our most vulnerable citizens during the COVID-19 pandemic

This payment will be made by your employer via your payroll.

How the scheme works

Local authorities will issue claim forms to social care employers who will pass these on to staff who are deemed eligible. Claim forms will not be made available by any other means. Individuals should raise any concerns they have about any aspect of the process with their employer/former employer who should bring this to the attention of the local authority.

So you can understand how the scheme will work, including eligibility, impact on any welfare benefits you receive, and exclusions, please read full details of the scheme online.

The payment will be made to NHS and social care staff who were employed in an eligible role. Eligible staff must have worked for a minimum period of nine days/shifts between 1 June 2020 and 28 February 2021 to receive this payment. This does not have to be on consecutive days or for the same employer. This minimum period is the same for full time, part time, agency staff or staff on casual or ‘zero hours’ contracts.

Appeals Process

If your employer has deemed you ineligible for the payment but you feel that you meet the eligibility criteria to receive this payment then you are able to make a reconsideration request via the Welsh Governments Appeals Process. Please read the appeals process guidance which will explain how you can initiate the appeals process via the Council. Download stage one form 

Further information

If you have any specific queries in respect of eligibility for the scheme, you should contact your employer.

If you are an employer based or operating within Rhondda Cynon Taf county boundaries and wish to make a claim or if you require more information regarding the scheme, please email This email address is for use by employers only.