Skip to main content

Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is normally included as a standard part of your buildings insurance, which protects you in the event of damage to the structure of your property. But this doesn’t include your belongings. If you want the contents of your home to be protected against flood damage too, you’ll need contents insurance.

If you live in an area considered to be a possible flood risk, you might need flood insurance in case of:

  • a river or watercourse bursting its banks.
  • seawater flooding due to storms and/or a high tide.
  • surface water or rapid groundwater flooding as a result of heavy rainfall or a burst pipe.

You can check your Flood Risk by visiting Natural Resources Wales Flood Risk maps by searching your postcode here.

Flood Insurance covers the cost of:

  • removing debris
  • professional fees (such as solicitors, architects, and surveyors)
  • repair or replacing damaged furniture and belongings.
  • alternative accommodation while you can’t live in your home.
  • drying out, repairing, and restoring your property and its fixtures and fittings

To find out more about Flood Insurance and tips on how to get the right flood cover you can view Money Helper’s guide here.

Flood Re

If you’re struggling to find insurance cover that’s affordable, the Flood Re scheme might be able to help you.

Flood Re is a joint government and insurance industry initiative. It aims to help insurance providers offer more affordable policies to households with eligible properties that have been impacted by flooding.

Some properties don’t qualify for Flood Re, including farm outbuildings, certain residential buy-to-let properties and homes built since 1 January 2009.

Find out more about the Flood Re scheme, including the full eligibility criteria, on their website here.

Making an Insurance Claim

In almost all cases, the insurance company will put you in touch with a loss adjuster to assess the damage and oversee any work. They will confirm what repairs and replacements are needed and which elements are covered by your policy. 

Ask the insurance company:

  • How long it will be before the loss adjuster visits.
  • If you are to clean your property or if they will get a company to do it for you
  • If they will help pay for repairs that will reduce potential flood damage and therefore reduce costs if it happens again
  • If they will provide you with temporary accommodation - this can be a nearby B&B, static caravan or rented house. You don't have to accept the first place you are offered.

Always make your own record of flood damage:

  • Use a permanent pen to mark on the wall the height the flood water got to.  Do this in every room affected by flooding.
  • Photograph or video your damaged property and list the damage to your property and belongings.
  • If your insurance company covers you for loss of perishable good(s), make a list of all the foods you throw away. Include any food touched by flood water and anything in your fridge or freezer ruined by loss of power.

Top tips:

  • Confirm the insurance company will pay for any services or equipment you need.
  • Make a note and record of all telephone calls. Record the date, name and what was agreed during the call.
  • Keep copies of letters, emails, and faxes you send and receive.
  • Keep receipts.
  • Don't throw anything away until told (except ruined food)

If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible. The Citizens Advice Bureau has more advice about dealing with flooding in a rented home.

The Association of British Insurers have advice for business affected by flooding.

If you need more help and support, contact: