If you qualify for a bus pass but cannot travel by bus without needing someone else’s help, then you may be eligible for assessment for a Companion pass.

You could be eligible if you have;

  • Severe learning difficulties,
  • Challenging behaviours which require supervision at all times,
  • Severe cognitive and mental impairments (including people who have no awareness of risk),
  • A combination of severe visual AND hearing loss that prevents independent mobility,
  • Difficulties using a wheelchair independently.

If you can answer YES to at least one of the above then you qualify for an assessment for a Companion Bus Pass.

If you cannot answer YES to any of the above, unfortunately you do not currently meet the criteria for a companion pass. 

How to apply

You can apply for an Eligibility Assessment Form for a Companion Bus Pass by contacting the Council on 01443 425001 or email: transportationservices@rctcbc.gov.uk 

An Eligibility Assessment Form will be sent to your home address.

Once the Assessment form has been completed you will need to make an appointment in advance with an advisor to attend, in person, one of the Council's One4aLL Centres. During this appointment you will submit your completed Assessment form together with; 

Proof of Age

  • Proof of your date of birth, you will need to provide any one of the following documents: birth certificate, current passport or current driving licence

Proof of Address

  • Proof of your address, you will need to provide any one of the following documents: current council tax bill (this financial year), utility bill (last quarter], current driving licence, evidence of rent payments (RCT Homes, Housing Association) or recent correspondence from Department of Work and Pensions or Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

Passport Approved Colour Photograph

  • One passport approved colour photograph.  If you prefer, your photograph can be taken for you by a member of staff at one of the Council’s One4aLL Centres.  (This is subject to the camera equipment being in working order at the time of your application)

If you are providing a photograph with your application, please ensure it meets the following criteria:

  • A recent colour photograph which is a true likeness of yourself,
  • Taken against a light grey, cream or white background,
  • You must be facing forward and looking straight at the camera,
  • The photograph must show your full face,
  • The photo must be in sharp focus with a strong definition between face and background,
  • Where possible it is preferable to remove glasses.  However if they must be worn for medical reasons they should not cover the eye, should be free from reflection or glare and must not be tinted.

If you require assistance to fill out the Eligibility Assessment form you can arrange an appointment with your local One4aLL Centre.  Here you will be able to collect the form as well as receiving help.

Book a One4All appointment online to submit your application or for assistance to the complete the form.

Is there a charge for the pass?

No, the Companion bus pass is issued free of charge, but a charge of £6.80 will be applied for a replacement pass.

What happens once the Council has completed the Eligibility Assessment?

Once your Companion eligibility assessment has been completed, we will contact you to inform you of the outcome. 

I have received my Companion pass – what happens with my old pass?   

A stamped addressed envelope will be enclosed with your Companion bus pass to enable you to return your old pass to the Integrated Transport Unit.  If the envelope is not enclosed please contact the Council on 01443 425001 or email: transportationservices@rctcbc.gov.uk to request another one to be sent to you.

What if I am unhappy with the outcome of my Companion Eligibility Assessment?

The Council’s First Response Team would have assessed your application and taken into account all the facts that we have; this may include medical information and/or details which you have supplied relating to your disability.

If you are unhappy with the decision made regarding your Companion Eligibility Assessment for the bus pass you can challenge the decision.  However in doing so, you would need to indicate the grounds on which you wish to appeal and also provide further evidence that was not known at the time of your application.  This information should be forwarded in writing to:

Representation and Complaints Unit 

Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC

Tŷ Elai                                                                                                                                        

Dinas Isaf East                                                                                                                 Williamstown                                                                                                                       Tonypandy                                                                                                                                   

CF40 1NY


Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.