Do I need building regulation approval?

To build an extension on my house?

Yes - However a porch or conservatory built at ground level may be exempt from Building Regulations:-

  • provided that the porch does not exceed 30 square metres in floor area and the glazing complies with safety glazing requirements of the Building Regulations (Part N) the Building Regulations will not apply.
  • for a conservatory, the above applies, but it must also have at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the walls made of translucent construction and there must be an external type door separating it from the dwelling, and must not be used for any other purpose (eg kitchen or living/sleeping accommodation). It is also advisable to ensure that a conservatory is not constructed so that it restricts ladder access to windows serving a room in the roof or a loft conversion, particularly if that window is needed as an emergency means of escape in the case of fire.

To build a detached garage?

Yes - However a single storey garage under 30 square metres in floor area is exempt provided:

  • it is built of substantially non-combustible materials (i.e. brick/concrete block) or when it is built it is a minimum of 1 metres from the boundary of the property.

For more information, view our guidance notes for garage conversions (pdf)

To build a garage extension to my house?

Yes - However a carport built at ground level, open on at least two sides and under 30 square metres in floor area, is exempt from requiring Building Regulation Approval.

For more information, view our guidance notes for garage conversions (pdf)

To carry out a loft conversion?

Yes - The document A guide to Loft Conversions (pdf) fully explains the details regarding Building Regulation to do with converting your loft.

To build or alter a garden wall or boundary wall?

No - You will need to verify whether the work requires planning or listed building consent. In addition the Party Wall Act may apply depending on the works you are carrying out. Retaining walls should be designed by a structural engineer and may require planning consent. 

To make internal alterations within my house, shop or office?

Yes - If the alteration involves the removal or part removal of a load-bearing wall, joist, beam, chimney breast or the provision of a controlled fitting i.e. boiler, hot water cylinder etc.

To carry out repairs to my house, shop or office?

No - If the repairs are of a minor nature e.g. replacing the felt to a flat roof, repointing brickwork or replacing floor boards. 

Yes - If the repair work is major in nature e.g. underpinning a building, re-roofing where over 50% of the timber members need to be replaced or where new tiles or roofing material is substantially heavier or lighter than the existing material. 

To install, alter or replace my shopfront?

No - The installation of structural work ie steel beams will require consent. 

To convert part or all of my shop or office to a flat or house?


To install replacement window and doors in my house, shop or office?

Yes - However many window companies are now registered under the FENSA Scheme, which means that for householder installation, they will supply you with a Certificate of Compliance. Where new windows/doors are installed to commercial premises a Building Regulation Application must be submitted.

To install or replace electrical wiring?

Yes - New or altered electrical supplies now require consent under the Building Regulations unless the work is carried out by an electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme. We would strongly encourage the use of electricians/installer who are members of a Competent Persons Scheme.

For more information, view our Electrical installations form (pdf)

To install fittings and appliances within my house, shop or office?

To install or alter the position of bath, wc etc.

  • No - unless the work involves new drainage or an extension of drainage or plumbing;

To install or alter the position of heating appliances:

  • Gas - Yes - unless the work is supervised by an Approved Corgi Registered Installer.
  • Oil/Solid Fuel - Yes

About your Local Authority Building Control Service

Building Control is the statutory function of ensuring that building work complies with the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations 2000, together with other relevant legislation contained in the Building Act 1984. Building Control is concerned with practical health and safety matters, energy conservation and access to buildings and the facilities within them. The Building Control Section of Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council is also concerned with controlling dangerous structures and demolition work. 

We aim to provide you with an efficient and impartial service on all Building Control matters. We endeavour to assist you with your building project, but our role is still one of ensuring that minimum standards of Health & Safety are met. Technical matters can sometimes lead to differences of interpretation, but our independent position allows us to give completely impartial advice. 

Building Control fees are laid down by government. The fact that fees exist give you even more reason to expect a good service, one that we are striving to maintain.

The service you can expect from us include:

  • applications acknowledged within 3 working days
  • applications checked and responded to within 15 working days of deposit
  • answering general correspondence within 10 working days
  • a Technical Support assistant is available between 9am and 5pm and can answer most queries about your application, however, if you wish to speak to a Building Control Officer please telephone beforehand to arrange an appointment between 8-10am or 2-5pm
  • we will issue a Completion Certificate on the satisfactory completion of your project

To view the Approved Documents of the Building Regulations go to Communities and Local Government website

Service provided by our Building Control teams

Our Building Control Officers will provide you with the best advice on all matters relating to the statutory control and structures. Our professional staff are divided into front line building control teams covering the geographical areas of Rhondda Cynon Taf North and Rhondda Cynon Taf South and have specialist teams in support. 

We have a wide range of skills and experience for you to draw upon, including:-

  • building Construction
  • geotechnics
  • structural and Civil Engineering
  • drainage and Sanitation
  • access and Facilities for People with Disabilities
  • energy Conservation
  • temporary Structures for Special Events
  • safety at Sports Grounds
  • public Safety

Our knowledge of local subsoil conditions and buildings in Rhondda Cynon Taf is second to none and we can assist you with practical advice on a range of building matters with problem solving. We are also able to facilitate liaison with other departments. 

On the more complex project we are able to assemble a team of specialists in particular fields (e.g. structural engineering, fire authority, energy efficiency, disabled egress etc) to ensure that you receive good advice at an early stage and at any time of the day. 

We will work with you to ensure that your building meets the requirements of today’s legislation.

Guide to Extending Your Home

Building Control Team

Rhondda Cynon Taf Building Control,

Sardis House

Sardis Road


CF37 1DU 

Tel: 01443 494746
and: 01443 494747

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.