When intending to demolish a building, notice must be given to the Local Authority under Section 80 of The Building Act 1984, which is usually a minimum of six weeks prior to work commencing.

Notice is not required in respect of a building not more than 1,750 cubic feet in volume by external measurement, although consideration must be given to the requirements of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, as it may relate to demolition and development.

A location plan of the building and adjoining streets must be provided together with a method statement, and risk assessment, for the demolition of larger buildings.

You are also required to inform the Health & Safety Executive, by way of an F10 notice of the intended demolition, a copy of which is also required by us.

Consideration should be given to the Party Wall Act 1996. This Act sets out the rights and responsibilities of adjoining owners in respect of such structures. These are essentially of private law as between the owners concerned and are not enforced by the Local Authority. An explanatory booklet issued by the Office of the Deputy Prime minister, is available from this office.

Statutory undertakers should also be notified in order that they may arrange for their services to be properly sealed.

Failure to give notice can result in a fine not exceeding £2,000 on the current scale.

Building or demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by the council, if you follow this advice.

Tell the council and the neighbours

  • give the Local Authority 6 weeks notice of demolition work. The council may impose some conditions about how the work should be done
  • send a letter to the neighbours before work starts, telling them about the work and what to expect. Give the neighbours a contact name and telephone number and keep them informed
  • Refer to the Party Wall Act 1996 [explanatory booklet available from the Council] about what you are required to do about informing adjoining properties
  • deal promptly with any complaints received on site

Keep dust, noise and smoke to a minimum

  • Dust: :Keep dust down by spraying with water when and where you can
  • Noise: There should be no noise heard from the site outside these hours: 8am until 6pm Monday to Friday & 8am until 1pm Saturdays, not at all on Sundays or bank holidays
  • Particularly noisy operations (e.g. Pile Driving) may need more stringent controls. Pumps and generators should not be left running overnight if they can be heard outside the site
  • If you are a householder doing some or all the work yourself, try to avoid causing any noise or dust in the evenings or on Sundays
  • If noise problems occur, the Council and the neighbours can take legal action. If you think your work may cause a significant nuisance to the neighbours from noise or vibration, apply for "prior consent" from the Council who will allow a certain level of noise to occur


  • bonfires that release "dark smoke" are illegal and the council will prosecute any offenders.
  • advice about bonfires is available from the Local Authority
  • stop the bonfire at the end of the working day.

Obstruction and damage to pavements

  • do not let vehicles or materials block or damage the pavements.
  • do not leave obstacles, holes or trenches where they are a danger, especially to disabled people (e.g. the blind).
  • the Council may charge you for any damage caused to pavements, kerbs or verges by lorries or heavy plant.
Structural Engineer


Tel: 01443 494756
Fax: 01443 494774

Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.