10 things we love about Aberdare Park...
Aberdare Park and the surrounding area is a great way to spend the day - or stay even longer and camp under the stars at nearby Dare Valley Country Park.
Here are 10 reasons why we LOVE Aberdare Park:
1. Entrance is free and there are ACRES to explore.
2. The adventure playground keeps the kids entertained for hours.
3. The Victorian boating lake and newly-restored paddle boats are great fun and so unique - the cafe serves traditional Italian ice cream that has been made in our Valleys for over 100 years!
4. It's packed with different species of flowers and trees, including a Rose Garden with 17 beds filled with different coloured and scented blooms
5. The newly-restored fountain is one of just a handful in the world and is exactly the same as the one that stands outside the glamorous Raffles Hotel in Singapore.
6. The park was home to the National Eisteddfod in 1956 and the magnificent Gorsedd Circle created for the event still stands to this day.
7. Sir Bradley Wiggins led cyclists out of Aberdare Park to start stage 5 of the prestigious Tour of Britain cycling race, accompanied by Marc Cavendish and Owain Doull.
8. Aberdare Park is home to a Monkey Puzzle tree, a species indigenous to South America, which is now considered an endangered species - try and spot it next time you visit!
9. The park is just a stone's throw from the lovely Aberdare town centre, where there is loads to enjoy!
10. Look what else there is to explore within just a stone's throw of Aberdare