Council Leader Andrew Morgan has confirmed his intention to appoint Cllr Jill Bonetto and Cllr Gareth Caple as members of his Cabinet team.
This move follows the decision earlier this week by Cllr Rosser and Cllr Hopkins to step back from their executive roles. The change will take effect from this coming Thursday (January 20) with the following members serving as part of the Council’s Cabinet:
- Cllr Andrew Morgan – Leader of the Council and Chair of the Cabinet
- Cllr Maureen Webber – Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Council Business
- Cllr Mark Norris – Cabinet Member for Corporate & Digital Services
- Cllr Ann Crimmings – Cabinet Member for Environment, Leisure & Heritage Services
- Cllr Rhys Lewis – Cabinet Member for Climate Change & Communities
- Cllr Gareth Caple – Cabinet Member for Adult Social Services
- Cllr Jill Bonetto – Cabinet Member for Education & Inclusion Services
- Cllr Robert Bevan – Cabinet Member for Enterprise, Development & Housing
- Cllr Tina Leyshon – Cabinet Member for Children’s Services
Commenting on his decision, County Borough Councillor Andrew Morgan, Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council, said: “I am delighted that Jill and Gareth have accepted my invitation to serve as part of the Council’s Cabinet, taking the roles will which vacated by Geraint and Joy on Wednesday.
“Both Cllr Hopkins and Cllr Rosser leave a strong legacy of improvement and investment within their respective service areas, which I am confident both Cllr Bonetto and Cllr Caple will aim to build upon. I am pleased that Cllr Bonetto and Cllr Caple will be able to play a key part in shaping the Council’s budget strategy for 2022/23 and in doing so set the key priorities and ambitions of the Council over the next financial year.”
Following her invitation to the join the Council’s Cabinet, Cllr Jill Bonetto has indicated her intention to step back from her role as Mayor with immediate effect.
Cllr Gareth Caple has also indicated his intention to step back from his roles as the vice-chair of the Council’s Planning & Development committee and also as the Chair of the Cwm Taf Public Service Board Joint Overview & Scrutiny Committee. Nominations for the role of Mayor and Vice-Chair of Planning & Development Committee will be sought at Wednesday’s (January 19) Council meeting.
An updated Leader’s Scheme of Delegation will be published tomorrow.
Posted on 18/01/2022