If you are a library member you can use the public access computers for free at any of the libraries in Rhondda Cynon Taf.
Use of Public Access PCs at RCT libraries Update
IPlease note the following:
- Public access PC’s, 2 Hr sessions reinstated along with walk in use no need for an appointment, social distancing rules will still apply
- Time slots available from 9:00am until 10 minutes before closing time Monday to Saturday.
- Only basic assistance can be provided at this time, staff members will not be able to sit at the PC with you or carry out any searches, form filling etc on your behalf.
- On entering the building you will be required to sanitise your hands, face masks must be worn at all times (if you have medical exemption for this then please inform library when booking slot). Refusal to carry out these safety measures will result in you not being allowed access to the library.
- Use the provided keyboard cover, this must not be removed until the end of your session when it should then be placed in the receptacle provided.
- Have correct amount of money to pay for any printouts, we will be unable to provide change.
- Inform library staff when you are leaving the library so that cleaning of your workstation can be completed.
When in the library you will be directed to your PC, you will not be able to access other areas of the library, browse library stock or enter and leave the building without good reason.
We also provide Free Wifi access at: Aberdare Library, Abercynon Library, Church Village Library, Ferndale Library, Hirwaun Library, Llantrisant Library, Mountain Ash Library, Pontyclun Library, Pontypridd Library, Porth Library, Tonypandy Library, and Treorchy Library.
Programmes available on library computers
We offer the following facilities on all of our library computers:
- internet access
- shortcuts to online Information resources including the Online Library Catalogue
- Microsoft Word for word processing
- Microsoft Excel for spreadsheets
- Microsoft Powerpoint for presentations
- Microsoft Access for databases
- Acrobat Reader - PDF viewer
- black and white / colour printer (view fees and charges)
- computer disks and USB's on sale
There will also be access to the following programmes and facilities from at least one PC at each library:
- Adobe Photoshop Elements
- Cicero for screen readings and magnification from scanned documents
- Cysgair online Welsh dictionary
- Cysill for Welsh spellchecking
- Frontpage for web design
- Publisher for desktop publishing
- Supernova for screen readings and magnification
Conditions of use
- all Internet use is monitored
- access is free for all library members. Membership cards must be produced prior to the commencement of a session on the computer
- all users will be required to complete an Internet agreement form stating that they have read and understood the library service usage policy
- children and young people under the age of 16 will be allowed access to the Internet provided that a parent or legal guardian has signed a consent form on their behalf. These forms must be signed in the library and witnessed by a member of the library staff
- the parent or guardian is responsible for the material that their children view. The library service assumes no responsibility for supervising access by children
- access is free for all visitors to Rhondda-Cynon-Taf. Proof of home and visiting address must be provided prior to the commencement of a session on the computer
- a pre-booked session will only be held for a period of 10 minutes. It will then be released for other users