Skip to main content

Gas safe registration

Gas Safe Register has replaced the CORGI gas register in Great Britain and the Isle of Man.

Gas Safe Register is the new hallmark for gas safety in Great Britain.  On 1 April 2009, Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI gas registration as the official gas safety body. So, from 1 April 2009, by law, only Gas Safe registered engineers should carry out work on gas appliances or installations in your home. There is only one gas safety register that you need to use.  Look for the yellow Gas Safe Register triangle not the orange CORGI registration badge. Anyone carrying out work on gas must be registered with Gas Safe Register. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk. Only a Gas Safe registered engineer is legally allowed to install gas appliances, boilers, hobs, ovens or fires in your home or workplace.

You must only use a Gas Safe registered engineer for any type of gas work, including installation, maintenance and servicing.

Who runs Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is run by Capita Gas Registration and Ancillary Services Limited, a division of Capita Group Plc. Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for Great Britain (GB) and Isle of Man, appointed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for Great Britain and HSWI for Isle of Man.

What about CORGI?

The CORGI gas registration scheme in Great Britain and the Isle of Man ended on 31 March 2009. It is no longer recognised by law as the gas safety register.  Check and see  if your gas engineer is now a Gas Safe registered engineer. You should also ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.

View further information on the Gas safe register website.