Skip to main content

Skip permit - Apply for a permit

To deposit a skip/container on the public highway, you need a permit from the local authority. No person or company may deposit a skip/container on the highway without first obtaining a permit.

Regulation Summary

Every skip/container that is placed on the highway must have a permit which is issued by the Council’s Streetworks Team. Only the owner of a skip/container company can apply for a permit. Members of the public cannot apply for a as they do not have the correct insurance and can't comply with skip/container regulations. If builders' skips/containers (whether small, medium or large) need to be placed on the highway (on the road, pavement or verge) then a permit has to be obtained by the skip/container operator.

To place a skip/container on the highway without first applying for and being granted a permit is an offence under the Highways Act 1980 and may result in a skip/container operator being prosecuted. The skip/container operator (supplier) has the responsibility to ensure that skips/containers are positioned on the highway in such a way that they do not cause an obstruction to other road users.

The skip/container supplier is responsible for ensuring that all appropriate regulations and conditions are adhered to.

It is NOT the householder or the builder’s or contractor’s responsibility to obtain a skip/container permit, but they should satisfy themselves that valid permission has been received by the Council for a skip/container to be placed on the highway.

Application process

If you wish to put a skip/container on the road outside your house please contact your skip/container supplier in the first instance.

In giving consideration to such requests the Streetworks Team will have to assess a number of factors and they may not always be able to grant consent.

A permit can be valid for any period between 1 day and 14 calender days. For longer periods additional applications must be made. Only one skip/container will be allowed on site at any one time, except in exceptional circumstances.

Skips/containers placed on the highway shall not contain any inflammable, explosive or noxious material, or anything which is likely to cause nuisance to highway users. Contents of the skip shall be kept "damped-down", or covered to prevent dust or spillage on the highway. The skip must not be overloaded and must be removed when full.

Please note: It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application and a permit number issued before it can be placed on the highway. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period.
Apply for a Skip Permit using our online form.


Skip/container operators are required to register their details and associated documents for validation by the Council. Only when registration is validated will the operator be able to apply for a skip permit(s).

Register as a Skip Operator

To register as an operator, please complete the  'Skip/container  Operator Registration Form' on the right hand side of this page and attach your relevant document/s, ie: Copy of a Valid Public Liability Certificate and return via email to Streetworks team


The determination (whether granted or refused/cancelled or otherwise) of a permit application currently costs £37.70 which is non-refundable . The permit is valid for a period of 14 calendar days. Subsequent periods will be charged at £37.70 (non-refundable) per 14 calendar days or part thereof.


Skip permit minimum process time is two working days.

Appeal process

Please contact the Streetworks Team

Skips/Containers - Frequently asked questions

Do I need a skip/container  permit?

Skip/Container operators placing a skip/container on the highway need to obtain a skip permit.

Does the Council provide skips/containers?

No. We recommend using a skip/container operator who has been recommended to you.

How do I apply?

If you are the hirer, it is the skip/container company’s responsibility to apply on your behalf. You can check if a permit has been applied for by contacting the Streetworks Team via  01443 425001 or Email. Any skips/containers placed on the highway without a valid permit may be removed without warning by the Council.

If I have a permit for a skip/container in another part of Rhondda Cynon Taf , am I covered?

No, the permit is site specific, each address with a skip/container requires a permit.

Can I have a skip/container in a back lane?

Consideration would be given to such a request.

When is a permit not required?

When a skip/container is placed on private land or a drive way, or on an unadopted lane, then a permit is not necessary. It is advisable to check with the Streetworks Team if in any doubt.

How long does it take?

We require min two working days' notice from the skip/container company to issue them with a permit.

However if there are particular traffic issues on the road where the skip/container is to be deposited (e.g. bus route, narrow road etc), a site inspection maybe required to negotiate conditions and possible alternate locations for the depositing of the skip/container.

In these instances it may take longer  to  issue the permit. The skip/container company involved will be informed of any traffic issues at the time of application.


Hirers are advised not to overfill skips  as the operator  can refuse to collected an overloaded skip as it can be dangerous to transport. Any excess material must be disposed of by the hirer in a responsible manner. The Council would consider excess material from an overfilled skip as fly tipping by the hirer.

Complaints / objections

If you have a complaint or query regarding any skip/container issues please contact the Street Works team via skips& or 01443 425001

Public registers

There is currently no public register on skip permit approvals in Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Street Works team

Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council,
Streetworks Section
Sardis House
Sardis Road
CF37 1DU

Tel: 01443 425001