Skip to main content

Housing Options

Social Housing

All Social Housing in Rhondda Cynon Taf is owned by Housing Associations that work in partnership with the Rhondda Cynon Taf Council.

Individuals interested in applying for social housing in RCT need to register with  Homefinder RCT  and complete an application.

There are almost 5,000 households currently registered with HomefinderRCT and on average there are 1100 properties allocated per year. This means that we are unable to offer a home to most people who apply for housing through the HomefinderRCT waiting list and those that are offered housing are likely to have waited a long time to be rehoused. 

Unfortunately, demand for properties particularly one bedroom accommodation, significantly outstrips our supply. Due to the extreme shortage of social housing in Rhondda Cynon Taf,  the Housing Waiting List is very long and you may not be offered a housing association property. Even people in very urgent housing need may have to wait a long time before they are allocated a property and are unlikely to be offered a property in an area of their choice.

Information about the average waiting times for properties allocated through Homefinder is available on the Homefinder website.

If you already live in a property owned by a Housing Association you may wish to consider mutually exchanging your property with another contract holder living in a Housing Association property. To apply for a mutual exchange you will need to register with, your housing officer will also be able to provide you with advice if you need assistance.

You may also wish to consider other housing options such as home ownership and private rented accommodation.  Further information below:

Home Ownership

If you would like to purchase your own home further information is available on the Homefinder website  Home Ownership - Homefinder RCT about what you need to consider before purchasing your property, including links to useful websites with mortgage calculators to see what you can afford based on your income.

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council can provide assistance for first-time buyers to help them to get on to the property ladder, offering brand new homes via our Homestep scheme at affordable prices. Further information about the Council’s Homestep scheme is available Homestep | Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council (

Private Rented Properties – useful web-links that may help you find suitable accommodation options in the private rented sector:

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, please contact the Council’s Housing Solutions service – / 01443 495188 who may be able to provide further help for you access a suitable home in the private rented sector.
Local Housing Allowance Rates – These are rates that you may be entitled to claim for housing costs if you are in receipt of qualifying benefits or income. 

Bedroom Size

Merthyr/Cynon Weekly

Merthyr / Cynon Calendar Monthly (UC)

Merthyr / Cynon Lunar Monthly (HB entitled

Taff /Rhondda Weekly

Taff/Rhondda Calendar Monthly


Taff/Rhondda Lunar Monthly

(HB entitled)










1 Bed









2 Bed










3 Bed










4 Bed