Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Aberdâr, the Welsh Medium primary school in Cwmdare, has benefitted from a £4.706m investment which has expanded its facilities and introduced an on-site childcare facility to meet local demand.
As part of Welsh Government’s Sustainable Communities for Learning Programme (formerly the 21st Century Schools and Colleges Programme), a £3.69m investment in the school has provided modern facilities and increased the number of Welsh Medium places offered – by 48 to 480 (including nursery places).
This was complemented by a separate £1.016m investment from Welsh Government’s Welsh Medium Capital Grant, which has created a new 29-place Welsh Medium childcare facility on the current school site – being operated from by Cylch Meithrin Cwmdâr.
The overall scheme, delivered in time for the new school year starting in September 2022, has included:
- A split level extension of the school’s eastern ‘wing’ – to facilitate four extra classrooms, toilets, a break-out area on the ground floor and a fully-accessible childcare facility on the lower ground floor.
- An extension to the school’s northern ‘wing’ – increasing the floorspace of the existing hall by 80 square metres.
- An extension of the existing car park on an area of Council-owned land to provide an additional 21 spaces.
- The removal of two temporary classrooms that were being used by the school (resulting in an overall gain of two classrooms in the project).
- An additional hard surface play area to replace an existing grass playing field which was unable to be used for large parts of the year.
- A new dedicated footpath to link the new childcare facility with the car park.
Completed project images - September 2022
For more information regarding this completed project please email the 21st Century Schools Team