The cricket ground was officially opened in 1924 by Major J Griffith Jones and two years later it became the county ground for Glamorgan County Cricket Club.
The first county match was against Derbyshire in 1926. In 1929, with its increase in popularity, a prestigious tourist match took place with South Africa. As cricket moved further east and west towards Carmarthenshire & Monmouthshire, Pontypridd was only allocated one annual game and in recent years its games have lessened.
Cricket in Pontypridd can be traced as far back as 1858 due to the influx of English born and educated migrants. Developing the game was difficult however due to the long working hours and shortage of land. When a formal club was established in 1870, things got a lot better and when Gordon Lenox enabled access to some of his farmland in 1873 more games could then take place. This generous philanthropist gave the cricket club money to buy equipment and kit and also facilitated the laying of a proper wicket in one of the fields in Ynysangharad farm. This enabled Pontypridd Cricket Club to enter the Glamorgan Cricket League and play fixtures with local clubs such as Treherbert and Mountain Ash.
More recently in 2005, the score box was refurbished and in recent years, cricket practice nets still attract block booking for pre-season use from several clubs. This combined with good quality facilities make it the perfect venue for pre-season practice.
The cricket ground is the home to:
There are currently 4 Saturday league teams the first playing in the Glamorgan and Monmouthshire Cricket League. The club also runs a team in the Sunday and Midweek leagues as well as the junior section.
A high quality playing surface combined with immaculate pavilion facilities make this park a high-profile amateur cricket venue attracting many high-profile matches.