You must apply for a HMO Licence online.
Who should apply for a HMO Licence?
The owner of the property should apply for the licence.
What will the Council assess as part of the application?
HMO Licensing looks at both the HMO itself, the owner and any proposed manager.
The Authority will issue a licence if it is satisfied that:
- The HMO is reasonably suitable for occupation by the number of people allowed under the licence
- The proposed licence holder is a “fit and proper person”
- The proposed licence holder is the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- The proposed manager (if there is one) is a “fit and proper person"
- The proposed management arrangements are satisfactory
- The person involved in the management of the HMO is competent
- The financial structures for the management and maintenance of the property are suitable
What will I need before I apply for a HMO Licence?
Before you make your online application, please gather the following evidence:
- A list of all interested parties (names, addresses, description of their interest in the property/application and the date of service). You will need to inform these people of the application.
- Tenancy agreement / written statement of terms of occupancy
- A floor plan. This need not be to scale, but should indicate the use of all rooms and the presence of all fire precaution equipment. This can be hand drawn but a photo of the drawing will need to be uploaded to your application.
- A current landlord gas safety certificate (if applicable)
- A current Electrical Installation Condition report (certificates with code 1 or code 2 defects are not accepted as satisfactory.)
- Fire alarm installation/inspection and servicing report
- Emergency lighting period inspection and testing certificate (if applicable)
You will also need a credit or debit card to pay for your application online.
CHECK IF YOUR PROPERTY IS A HMO AND APPLY ONLINE
Apply online for a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.