Skip to main content

Food Business Registration

Anyone starting a food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before opening.

Anyone starting a food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before opening.

To register your food business online, please complete and submit the form below:

NOTE: The online registration process is provided by the UK Government and is only available in English. Please view the Welsh Language version of the registration form here. Please complete and forward to

If a food business makes, prepares or handles products of animal origin, the food business and its activities may require approval by the council. See our Food Premises Approval page for more information.

PLEASE NOTE: It is an offence to give information that you know is false.

Application Process

You must tick all the boxes that apply to your business, answer all the questions and provide all information requested.

Food registration is automatically granted, provided that the application reaches the Food and Health and Safety Team at Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council 28 days prior to the premises opening. If the form is sent to the wrong address, your application will not take effect until it is received at the proper place. If you have a business premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Regulation Summary

Article 6 of Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 Hygiene of Foodstuffs, requires all food businesses to complete and return a registration form to the local authority in which the food business is located prior to opening. You must also complete and return a registration form or notify the Council if:

  • There is a change of food business operator at a premises
  • The food business is moving to a new address

Eligibility Criteria

The requirement to register your premises encompasses any business selling food, including drinks. This would include: pubs, restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars, markets/stalls, mobile caterers, hot dog/ ice cream vans etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent registered premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have; you do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must register where the vehicle is kept overnight.

Public Registers

Details of the food premises address and nature of the business will be added to a register, which can be open for inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available, and will not be disclosed outside of the Council, Local Government Departments and Government Agencies. The details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

Contact the Food and Health and Safety Team:

Food and Health and Safety,

Public Health and Protection Division,
Ty Elai, 
Dinas Isaf East, 
CF40 1NY 

Tel:01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301