Skip to main content

Gambling premises licence

The Gambling Act 2005 has created a new system of licensing & regulation for commercial gambling in this country (other than for the National Lottery and spread betting).

The Act received Royal Assent on 7th April 2005 and passes responsibility for the licensing of betting premises from the Magistrates to the local authority. Amongst other changes, it gives Local Authorities new and extended responsibilities for licensing premises for gambling. Responsibility for areas including betting, casino gaming and bingo, which previously lay with local Licensing Justices.

Rhondda Cynon Taf has become the Licensing Authority for this area and has prepared a Statement of Principles which in broad terms sets out how the council will deal with applications etc., over the next three years. This policy has been produced following widespread consultation with community groups, statutory agencies and members of the trade and their associations.

The new Gambling Statement of Principles for Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council will come into effect on 31st January 2019. Before a statement or revision comes into effect, regulations state that the Licensing Authority must publish it on the Authority’s website. It must also be made available at reasonable times for inspection by members of the public at one or more public libraries in the area covered by the statement or in other premises situated in that area. The statement or revision must be published at least four weeks before it takes effect.

Paper copies of new Statement of Principles can be viewed from 3rd January 2019 at the following locations:-

  • Ty Elai, Dinas Isaf East, Williamstown, Tonypandy, CF40 1NY
  • Treorchy Library, Station Rd, Treorchy CF42 6UD
  • One4all advice centre, Sardis House, Sardis Rd, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, CF37 1DU

Click here to view the Statement of Principles online.

What does the Gambling Act 2005 mean?

The 2005 Act establishes a single integrated system for licensing premises and issuing permits.

How to apply for a licence or permit

The council is responsible for all gambling premises licences and permits issued from the 1st September 2007. Any applications for the grant or renewal of a premises gambling licence or permit commencing on or after that date must be submitted to the council.

To request an application form please contact our Licensing Department using the contact details below

Operators and Personal licences issued under the Gambling Act 2005 are the responsibility of the the Gambling Commission and can only be issued by them. The Gambling Commission website can be accessed through the link at the Further Information section at the end of this document.

What licences and permits are available under the 2005 Act?

A Premises Licence:

  • casino premises (there are none proposed for Rhondda Cynon Taf )
  • bingo premises
  • betting premises, including tracks
  • adult Gaming Centres (for category B3, B4, C and D machines)
  • Family Entertainment Centre (for category C and D machines only)
  • Family Entertainment Centre Permit (for category D machines only)

Provisional Statement

Provides for a person to make application to the licensing authority in respect of premises that he or she:

  • expects to be constructed
  • expects to be altered; or
  • expects to acquire a right to occupy

Permits & Fees

Alcohol licensed premises gaming machine permits

Premises with two machines or less only require to notify the council of the presence of the machines and there is a £50.00 notification fee. Premises with three or more machines require a Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit. The charge for new applications £150. In addition there is an annual fee of £50.

Applicants must be the holder of an on-premises alcohol licence.

Prize gaming permits

Prize Gaming Permits last for ten years and the fee is £300 for both new grants & renewals.

Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permit (for category D machines only)

Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permits last for ten years and the fee is £300 for both new grants & renewals.

Club Gaming Permits and Club Machine Permits

Club Gaming Permits and Club Machine Permits last for ten years (Indefinite for holders of a club premises certificate) and for an existing operator the application fee is £100. For renewals and new grants the fee is £200. In addition there is an annual fee of £50 (not for holders of a club premises certificate).

In addition to submitting their application to the council all applicants for Club Gaming Permits and Club Machine Permits must also send a copy of their application to the Gambling Commission and the Chief Officer of Police for the area (not for holders of a club premises certificate).

A Temporary Use Notice

  • for a premises where there is no premises licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling
  • a maximum of 21 days per year for a premise

An Occasional Use Notice

  • for betting on a track without the need of a full premises licence
  • a maximum of 8 days per year (starting 1 January)
  • notice must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by an occupier of the track

Small Society Lotteries Registration

A lottery if established and conducted for charitable purposes, purposes of enabling participation in, or supporting, sport, athletics or a cultural activity or for any other non-commercial purpose other than that of private gain is a ‘small society lottery’.

A lottery is small if the total value of tickets put on sale in a single lottery is £20,000 or less and the aggregate value of the tickets put on sale in a calendar year is £250,000 or less. Where tickets for a single lottery exceed £20,000 or the aggregate value of tickets in a year exceeds £250,000 a lottery is a large society lottery and a licence will be required from the Gambling Commission

The fee for a small society lottery is £40 for initial registration and there is a £20 annual fee.

Licensing Objectives

Each Licensing Authority - The Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council in this case - is to carry out its duties with a view to promoting the three Licensing Objectives.

preventing Gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime

ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and

protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

The aim of these objectives is to ensure that everybody involved in the licensing regime is focused on common goals, essential to the fair balance of differing interests and the well being of our communities in relation to licensable activities.

What about Licence fees and application forms?

Fee levels set by the authority can be viewed by clicking on the link, Related Documents, Gambling Act 2005 Fees. Application forms can be obtained by downloading them from the Department for Culture, Media & Sports (DCMS), or by contacting the Licensing Section on 01443 425001.

Licensing Team

Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council,

Ty Elai
Dinas Isaf East
CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301