Skip to main content

Tattoo, piercing and electrolysis registration

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Part VIII requires the following types of skin piercing to be registered with the Council.
  • acupuncture
  • tattooing
  • semi - permanent skin colouring (including microblading)
  • cosmetic piercing
  • electrolysis

IMPORTANT: Changes to Current Tattoo, Piercing and Electrolysis Registration

Regulation summary

The Act requires separate registration to cover both the person carrying on the practice and the premises used for  that purpose. Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough has adopted byelaws that set minimum standards for the purposes of infection control. View a copy of the byelaws for Acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis. The applicant must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used are safe, hygienic, prevent the spread of disease and comply fully with the general duty of care required by the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

It is illegal to conduct the above activities unless the registration has been formally approved. 

How to apply

Application forms can be obtained or enquiries can be answered by contacting us.

Food and Health & Safety Team

Ty Elai,
Dinas Isaf East
CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 744283
Fax: 01443 425301

Application process

Once an application has been made and the appropriate fee has been received an officer will undertake an inspection of the premises and an assessment of the practitioner(s) will also be carried out.


Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC currently charge the following fees for the application process covering registration of Tattooing, Semi Permanent Skin Colouring (including microblading), Cosmetic Piercing, Electrolysis and Acupuncture activities;

 Application for Premises Registration  £168
 Application for Personal Registration        £82
 Application for Personal Transfer    £36

Application for Additional Personal Registration 

NB: This form is only to be used if you already hold personal registration at REGISTERED premises within RhonddaCynon Taf CBC and you require ADDITIONAL registration to also work at another REGISTERED premises within Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC