Skip to main content

How do I stand as a candidate?

You can stand for election as an independent candidate or as a group/party political candidate. If you are a member or plan to join or stand as a member of a political party their agents will work for you. If you are standing as an independent member you will need to seek advice from different agencies.

To become a councillor you must put yourself forward for election. Unless a casual vacancy arises within a ward, elections take place on the first Thursday in May once every five years.

To stand for election you must complete a nomination form. These forms are made available on the relevant upcoming elections page or can be requested by contacting electoral services.

To stand as a candidate you will need to provide:

  • A nomination paper, signed by 10 registered electors of the ward in which they are to stand
  • A certificate from the party's nominating officer, authorising your candidacy and use of the party's description and emblem
  • Written consent to your nomination

All documents must be returned to:

Electoral Services


The Old Courthouse,

Courthouse Street,

Pontypridd CF37 1JW