Skip to main content

Complex Learning Disability Team

How we use your personal information for the Complex Learning Disability Team

The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them.  Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with. 

We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for the Complex Learning Disability Team. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice.

1. Who we are, what we do.

Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC work in partnership and a multi-disciplinary way with Cwm Taf Morgannwg Health Board and Swansea Bay to provide the Complex Learning Disability service.

We provide support to adults with complex learning disabilities. We do this by undertaking an initial assessment to establish how best we can support your needs. We will regularly review and assess the support that has been put in place for you to ensure that it is still suitable for you, and adapt as necessary.

2. What and whose personal information we hold?

The data we process relates to our service users and their families. The type of information we process is likely to include, but not limited to:

Service user

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • Contact details, including telephone number, email address
  • Details relating to your learning disability, which may also include additional health information to help us undertake our assessment.
  • Name, address, contact details of your GP
  • Details of the outcomes of any assessments undertaken

Family / Carer

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • Contact details, including telephone number, email address
  • Relationship to the service user

3. Where does the service get my information from?

We receive your personal information in one of two ways. Either:

  • Referrals from the Council’s Single Point of Access (SPA) team (privacy notice here SPA Privacy Notice) , or;
  • From Children’s Services if you are transitioning from Children’s to Adult service.   

What will we do with your personal information? 

We will use all of the information that has been provided to us in the referral, and the information that we have gathered as part of our assessment to put the appropriate support in place for you.

This may include a referral to our partner organisations such as, ALC or Drive 

We will record the support that you require on a care plan which we will regularly review, assess and adapt as necessary.

5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?

Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so.

Our lawful basis for processing personal information in order to provide you with support at home services and to meet the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is as follows:

Personal Information:

Article 6 1.(c),(e) - to fulfil our legal and statutory obligations under the:

  • The Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014
  • Mental Health Act 1983
  • Mental Health Measure 2010
  • Mental Capacity 2005

Special Category Information ((i.e. information about a person’s race, ethnic origin, politics, religion, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics, health, sex life or orientation):

Article 9 2.(g)  - to fulfil our legal and statutory obligations under the:

  • The Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014

Article 9 2.(h) – To support the provision of preventative or occupational medicine, medical diagnosis, the provision of health or social care treatment or the management of health and social care systems and services

Please note that whilst we may ask for your consent (under the common law Duty of Confidentiality and the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014) to share your personal information with others who are involved in your support, consent is not the lawful basis for processing your information under data protection law. 

6.  Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?

The information that you and others share with us will be recorded in your assessment and your care and support plan and via our case recording system.

Some of this information will be shared with the staff who may need to undertake a further assessment or provide you with support.

Sharing the information in your assessment reduces the need for you to provide the same information again and again to the staff or agencies who are involved in your care and support. This does not mean that we will share everything that you and others have shared with us. We will only share the information that is required to provide you with the support that you require.

We will only share your personal information with other Council departments or external organisations that work in partnership with the Council and its Community and Children’s Social Care Services. This could be but is not limited to:

  • Your Social Worker
  • GP
  • Nurse
  • Police
  • any other person or organisation that can help support you, for example, housing

7. How long will my information be kept?

Information is retained for 7 years following the death of an individual

Records relating to Adults are kept for a minimum of 7 years after their involvement with any social care service has ended, for administrative purposes. 

Records about a person’s health needs are kept for a minimum of 10 years from the date their involvement with any social care service ended.

For more information please see the Council’s Retention and Disposal Policy and Schedule

8.  Your information, your rights

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.

Click here for further information on your information rights and how to exercise them. 

9. Contact us

If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:

  • By email :
  • By telephone : 01443 425527
  • In writing : Adult Social Care Services, Ty Elai, Dinas Isaf East, Williamstown, RCT, CF40 1NY