Skip to main content

Cwm Taf Morgannwg Specialist Mental Health And Substance Misuse Housing Outreach Service

How we use your personal information for the Specialist Mental Health and Substance Misuse Housing Outreach Service purposes within the Cwm Taf Morgannwg (CTM) area.

The council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with. 

We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for CTM Specialist Mental Health and Substance Misuse Housing Outreach Servicepurposes.

This information should be read in conjunction with the council’s corporate data protection pages here

1.    Who we are, what we do.

The CTM Specialist Mental Health and Substance Misuse Housing Outreach Service is a multi- agency team funded by Welsh Government.

The service consists of the following organisations:

  • Health Services (NHS)
  • Bridgend County Borough Council
  • Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council
  • Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council
  • Barod
  • Adferiad (used to be WCADA)

Referrals will be made into the team mainly from our third sector providers who oversee our hostels, temporary accommodation placements and Housing First Projects. This will be mainly for single homeless people who are in crisis and in need of a health intervention.

2.    What and whose personal information we hold?

We hold information about individuals who are being dealt with and supported under the Housing Wales Act 2014, including temporary accommodation and Housing First projects.

The type of information we hold and process will typically include, but is not limited to:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Contact information
  • Housing details to include current and former addresses
  • Health information including details of any prescribed medication
  • Household breakdown details
  • Housing related support needs
  • Housing Risk Assessment
  • Information about any criminal convictions or offences
  • Financial income details

3.    Where does the service get my information from?

There are a number of ways in which we obtain personal information, as detailed below:

  • directly from you;
  • referrals from another council service or organisation/third party, for example Social Worker, Housing Team/Provider, Support Worker, Probation Officer, member of Health or Police;
  • referrals to the service by a family member/friend etc.

We also generate our own information when we assess your needs.

4.    What we will do with your personal information?

We use the above information to:

  • help us understand the service we need to provide;
  • prioritise referrals to ensure we are meeting personal needs and preventing homelessness;
  • help us to assess your needs and to target the right support at the right time; and
  • make a referral to other council services and other partner organisations to provide support.

We also use the information to:

  • carry out the day to day management of our service;
  • gain a better understanding of our service provision, the services we need to provide and how best to meet your needs; and
  • ensure continuous service improvement.

5.    What is the legal basis for the use of this information?

Data protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so.

As a public authority, we undertake our official council duties and satisfy our legal obligations to help to combat substance misuse, mental health issues and prevent homelessness under the following legislation:

  • Housing Wales Act 2014  
  • Section 6 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998
    • Part 9 of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014
    • Section 22 of the National Health Service Act 1977
    • Section 2 of the Local Government Act 2000

In order to achieve this, we will sometimes need to share your information with trusted partners, who work with us to achieve the same goal and provide services who can assist with your longer term needs.

Please note that whilst we may ask for your authorisation to participate in our support services, consent is not the lawful basis for processing your information under data protection law. 

6.    Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?

As mentioned above, we will share your information with other council services and relevant partner organisations, depending on your needs. These may include but are not limited to:

  • Other council departments, e.g. Social Services, Housing, Children’s Services
  • Other local authorities
  • Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board
  • Voluntary sector partners e.g. Barod, Adferiad
  • National Probation Service
  • Housing Providers
  • South Wales Police

We also share non identifiable (anonymous) information relating to the service for statistical and research purposes with Welsh Government and Public Health Wales.

7.    How long will my information be kept?

We will only keep personal information for as long as necessary and in line with legal requirements.

8.    Your information, your rights

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.

View further details on your information rights and how to exercise them

9.    Contact us

If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:

By email:

By telephone: 01443 809446 or 01443 809444

In writing: Specialist Mental Health and Substance Misuse Housing Outreach Team, Mill Street Hostel, Mill Street, Pontypridd, CF37 1HF