Skip to main content

Residential Care Service (Adults) Privacy Notice

How we use your personal information to provide you with residential care services.

The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with. 

We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information to provide you with residential care services. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice and the Community & Children's privacy notice.

1. Who we are, what we do.

Residential Care Services provide accommodation and support to adults who may be finding it difficult to look after themselves at home, perhaps because of a recent illness, or because they are getting more frail.

The Council runs the following care homes in RCT:  

  • Bronllwyn Residential Home
  • Cae Glas Resource Centre
  • Clydach Court Resource Centre
  • Dan-y-Mynydd Residential Home
  • Ferndale House Resource Centre
  • Parc Newydd Residential Home
  • Tegfan Resource Centre
  • Pentre House
  • Garth Olwg
  • Ystrad Fechan Residential Home
  •  Troedyrhiw

2. What and whose personal information do we hold?

We hold information on past and present residents.

The type of information we collect and use to provide you with residential care services will vary depending on your individual needs as identified in your care and support plan. Typically it will include:

  • Name, date of birth etc.  
  • Details of where you have moved from e.g. previous address or hospital.
  • Details of your next of kin and their contact details.
  • Information about your needs and how they are to be met including personal, physical and emotional needs
  • Specific information about your health needs
  • Dietary information
  • Information on your race, ethnic origin, religion, etc. so that we are able to meet any specific needs you may have.
  • Interest and hobbies
  • Information about the activities and opportunities you have been supported to participate in.
  • Information about the how your needs have been met by the service.
  • Financial information so that we can invoice you for your stay with us and recover any monies due.

3. Where does the service get my information from?

Generally we will receive information from:

  • You and your family, for example when you move in with us or when dealing with your daily needs.
  • We will generate our own information about you through our observations of working with you and providing you with care. For example we are required to keep records of how well you are doing and when we administer medical to you etc. 
  • We will receive information from a range of health and social care professionals that are supporting you and involved in your care. This may include your:
    • Care Manager.
    • G.P.
    • Hospital Consultant.
    • District Nurse.

 If you participate in a recreational activity for example a day trip away, we may also receive information from the company that organised the event and your chaperone (if required) about your experience on the trip.

4. What we will do with your personal information?

We will use the above information:

When a place in the home of your choice becomes available to:

  • Assess whether we can meet your needs.
  • Provide you with advice and information and answer any concerns you may have.
  • Manage your move into the home so it goes as smoothly as possible.

Once you’ve moved in to:

  • Support you with your personal care e.g. mobility, dressing, bathing, eating.
  • Monitor your general health whilst you are in the home and keep a record of any health problems you may have.
  • Support you with your medical needs - administer medication, liaise with your GP, surgery, chemist, district nurse for example and to arrange prescriptions and medical appointments.
  • Review your placement to ensure it continues to meet your needs.
  • Keeping your next of kin informed of your progress and to contact them to discuss any concerns.
  • Deal with any medical emergencies for example by calling the emergency services and providing them with your medical history.
  • Meet and monitor your dietary needs and any allergy requirements.
  • Arrange appointments on your behalf such as chiropody appointment, eye test etc 
  • Arrange social activities on your behalf that you may wish to participate in such as hobbies and interests, day trips away etc.
  • Help you handle your money where you ask us to.

5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?

Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so 

Our lawful basis for processing personal information in order to provide you residential care services is primarily:

  • To fulfil our legal and statutory obligations under the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014.
  • To fulfil our legal and statutory obligations under the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016.
  • To fulfil our contractual obligations. When you move in with us you enter into a contract with us.  In order for us to fulfil our obligations under that contract we will need to process your personal information.

In addition to the above, we may also rely on other lawful reasons depending on your specific needs or any requirements that may arise during your stay with us. For example in the event of a medical emergency, where you are not physically or mentally capable to make decisions about your treatment we may do this on your behalf.

Further information on other lawful reasons that we may rely upon and when they might apply can be found in the Community & Children’s Services privacy notice

6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?

In order to provide you with residential care services and to fulfill your personal needs as identified in your care and support plan we may share your information with a range of organisations and professionals who are involved in your care. This may include:

Other Council services such as:

  • Social Workers.
  • Reviewing Team.
  • Finance – for example so that we can recover the cost of your stay with us.
  • Complaints Team – in the event of any concerns.

Health services and health professionals for example:

  • GP
  • District Nurse.
  • Hospital consultant.
  • Dentist.
  • Chiropodist.
  • Optician.

Other organisations such as:

  • Age Connect or Age Concern.
  • Advocacy Services.
  • Accessible Transport Services.
  • Alzheimers Society Cwm Taf.
  • Local Authorities-should you wish to move to another area.

7.    How long will you keep my information for?

We will generally keep your information about your social care needs for 7 years after your stay with us has ended. 

8.    Your information, your rights

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) outlines your rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.

View further details on your information rights and how to exercise them 

9.    Contact us

If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service is using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways: 

Bronllwyn   Residential Care Home

Colwyn Rd,



CF41 7NW

Tel: 01443 435873

Cae Glas Residential Care Home

Cardiff   Road,



CF37 5AH

Tel. 01443 841234

Clydach Court Residential Care   Home.

Brithweunydd Road,



CF40 2UD

Tel: 01443   433283

Dan-Y-Mynydd Residential Care   Home.

Bronwydd Avenue,


CF39 9AQ

01443 685944


Ferndale House Residential Care   Home.

Station Road,


CF43 4ND

Tel: 01443 730614


Garth Olwg Residential Care   Home.

Main Road,

Church Village,


CF38 1BT

Tel:   01443 203466

Parc Newydd Residential Care   Home.

Green Park,

Talbot Green,

CF72 8RB

Tel: 01443 237848

Troedyrhiw Residential Care   Home.

Troedyrhiw Road,

Mountain Ash

CF45 4LD

Tel:   01685 473520

Tegfan Residential Care Home

Llewelyn St,


CF44 8HU

Tel: 01685 878485

Ystrad Fechan Care Home

Station Road,


CF42 6HN

Tel: 01443 773300


Pentre House.

Pentre Rd,


CF41 7DJ

Tel: 01443 441929


Service Improvement and Complaints Team.

Ty Elai,

Dinas Isaf East,


CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 425003