In accordance with the requirement of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act, 2015 and having taken into consideration the requirements of Section 58 of the Local Government (Wales) Measure, 2011 and associated statutory guidance a Joint Overview and Scrutiny Committee has been established comprising elected Members of both Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Councils to scrutinise Cwm Taf Public Services Board. There are 5 core statutory functions of the Cwm Taf joint overview and scrutiny committee.
Members of the JOSC are reminded that, as set out within its terms of reference, their core statutory functions include:-
- To review or scrutinise the decisions made or actions taken by Board;
- To review or scrutinise the Board’s governance arrangements;
- To make reports or recommendations to the Board regarding its functions or governance arrangements;
- To consider matters relating to the Board as the Welsh Ministers may refer to it and report to the Welsh Ministers accordingly; and
- To carry out other functions in relation to the Board that are imposed on it by the Well-Being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015
Rhondda Cynon Taf Council Members
Cllr R Bevan (Chair)
Cllr B Stephens
Cllr SJ Davies
Cllr D Parkin
Cllr K Morgan
Merthyr Council Members
Cllr L Mytton (Vice Chair)
Cllr C Jones
Cllr K Gibbs
Cllr J Thomas
In addition to carrying out its statutory functions, Members of the JOSC will work together with shared responsibility for improved outcomes across partner organisations, which will avoid duplication of time and resources of the Councils respective Scrutiny Committees.
In doing this, the JOSC will give consideration to the effectiveness of the Wellbeing Plan and of the performance measurement arrangements. It will also monitor the effectiveness of the Public Services Board in communicating its work, objectives and outcomes to its stakeholders.
The Committee works on a rotational basis between Rhondda Cynon Taf CBC and Merthyr Tydfil CBC. During the 2022/23 Municipal Year, the meetings are currently being chaired by Councillor R Bevan (Vice Chair – Councillor Mytton) with support arrangements from Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council. Virtual meeting are being held online.