The Council is seeking suggestions from residents, local schools and community groups, to be considered for shortlisting for a public poll, to give a Welsh or bilingual name to the Cross Valley Link Road currently under construction and due to open to traffic in summer 2020.
The Cross Valley Link has been an aspiration for a number of years and, to acknowledge its significance both in terms of transport and as a structure which will become a 21st century Landmark in the Cynon Valley, the Council is keen to secure a fitting name that has been developed and chosen by the community.
Any suggestions submitted will need to take consideration of one of the following criteria. All suggestions will be considered by a panel, comprising Council representatives and local historians who will draw up a shortlist of three names. The three shortlisted names will then be polled via public questionnaires, the web and social media to select the final choice. The chosen name will be unveiled on the completion of the road and its opening to traffic and the winning school, group, or individual will be invited to attend the official opening.
All suggestions must be received by 6th of April 2020 in order to be considered.
For nominations to be considered by the panel, they must meet one or more of the following:
- recognise or reference the history of the area
- recognise individuals of significance, either historically or through their personal achievement, with local routes or connections to Mountain Ash or the lower Cynon Valley.
- recognise events of local and historical significance
- reflect the wider landscape and culture of Mountain Ash.
- Any submissions in English will be translated into Welsh, and will need to have a suitable Welsh translation to be considered.
You can submit a name suggestion by filling in the form below. Please note, any suggestions written on social media will not be considered.