Do you need support to help you live independently in your community?
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Supporting People Services can help you to live as independently as possible.
This does not just mean having somewhere to live but being able to live there safely and happily. They can help you to develop the necessary skills and confidence to make this happen.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
We can provide housing related support in one of two ways:
- Within schemes such as supported housing; hostels or refuges or
- within your own home
Support is provided on a short term basis and is normally dependent on your needs.
New Housing Support Service
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Housing Support?
Our Housing Support Service is a free service offering person centred support based on individual circumstances. We carry out an assessment of your needs and provide housing related support that can help you resolve a crisis and or improve your skills and confidence to help you take control of your life and make decisions about your future. The service can work with you in your own home and support you to access the wider community
Why do we need a new service?
A review of housing support services in Rhondda Cynon Taff identified a mis-match between service demand and supply. Based on the council’s commissioning arrangements with seven providers this created spaces on some schemes and a waiting list for other clients in need of a support service. There was also confusion for some people on the provider who would provide their support and the timescale to receive a service.
In order to meet high service demand and reduce confusion, a new locality based housing support service offers one gateway into support services in a particular area delivered by one provider simplifying access to housing support in Rhondda Cynon Taff.
The new service providers delivering this service are:
What will this change mean for me if I am receiving housing support with an existing provider?
Each existing provider will be required to ensure there is a continuity for the provision of support. Where possible all existing service users will continue to receive support from their existing support worker.
If you currently receive support from Trivallis and live in the Taff area, you will continue to receive support from Trivallis.
If you currently receive support from Hafod, and you live in the Rhondda, you will continue to receive support from Hafod.
If you currently receive support from Llamau, and you live in the Cynon area, you will continue to receive support from Llamau.
However, there may be changes if staff have moved to different posts within the organisations that they work for or have changed employers.
We will ensure where there is any change to your support worker that you meet your new worker as early as possible with your existing support worker.
Will my support stay the same?
Initially the level of support you receive will remain the same however in some cases we may need to carry an out a new assessment. This will include discussing your support needs with you to ensure you have say in your future support planning.
When will the new service start?
The new providers will be in place from the 1st April 2019. However if you are currently on scheme and continue to receive support after this date you may not notice any day to day changes in the service you receive.
What can the Housing Support Service help you with?
- Help you with managing your money including debts, paying bills and housing costs such as rent arrears.
- Help with moving in and setting in a new home for example sorting out your gas and electricity supplier.
- Assist you with reporting repairs, sorting out rent and other tenancy issues.
- Support you to make your home warm, safe and comfortable and energy efficient.
- Help you to arrange appointments for example with health services to prevent health problems and to help you to lead a healthy active life.
- Help you to fill out forms and write important letters.
- Refer you to other services that you may need so you can be as independent as possible.
- Help you to find out information on local services that might be able to meet your needs and interest.
- Support you to engage with leisure, skills and employment opportunities.
- Prompt and support you to develop or maintain independent living skills.
- Help you to access information, advice, support and guidance to ensure that you have the information and support you need to make important decisions.
Who can receive a Housing Support Service?
If you are aged 16+ and living in Rhondda Cynon Taf you can make a self referral or be referred by family member or friend, Social Worker, Careers Officer or other agencies working with you.
You can be living in any type of accommodation in the borough including:
- Private rented
- Shared housing
- Housing association tenant
- Home owner
What the Housing Support Service cannot do:
- Manage your finances for you
- Pay your bills for you
- Give you personal care or help with washing and dressing(We will help you apply for home care services)
- Do housework, cooking or carry out repairs for you(We will help you to report repairs or apply for home care services)
- Go with you on outings or events
- Settle disputes between you and other people
- Give counselling
How do I apply for housing support?
You can receive further information on the new housing support service or apply to receive support by contacting the Supporting People Team.
The Supporting People Team
Tel: 01443 425473 / 01443 425306
Help us improve - don't include personal or financial information, e.g. your National Insurance number or credit card details.
Please provide a reason and any suggestions you feel are necessary in helping us improve the web page.