Skip to main content

Council tax band reductions for disabled

Your bill may be reduced if a permanently-disabled adult or child lives in the property.

Your property must have certain features which are essential or have a major importance to the wellbeing of the disabled person. These features are:

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet, which is used mainly by the disabled person. (e.g. a room used for storing dialysis equipment)
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of the disabled person
  • extra space inside the dwelling for the use of a wheelchair

When considering whether a reduction should apply, the Council has to decide whether the person with the disability would find it impossible, or extremely difficult, to live in the dwelling, or whether their health would suffer, or the disability become more severe, if the extra feature were not available in the dwelling.

To qualify for a reduction, the extra room need not be specially-built, it can be an existing room used specifically for the person with the disability.

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the Valuation Band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list.

For example,

  • if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to that for a band C dwelling. View Council Tax Banding details. (Please note: This will not affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list.)
  • If your home were in band A (the lowest Council Tax band) a reduction of 1/9 of the band D Council Tax would apply.

If you feel you may qualify for the reduction then please contact the Council in order to arrange a home visit by a Council officer.

Please write to:

Oldway House
CF39 9ST

Tel: 01443 425002
Minicom: 01443 680708