Skip to main content

Council tax reduction - Disabled Person Reduction

Your bill may be reduced if a permanently-disabled person (whether an adult or child) lives in your property.

To qualify for a reduction, your property must have one of the below features, which are essential to, or important to, the wellbeing of the disabled occupant:

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet, which is used mainly by the disabled person. (e.g. a room used for storing dialysis equipment)
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of the disabled person.
  • extra space inside the property for the use of a wheelchair.

When considering whether a reduction should apply, the Council must decide the consequences to the disabled person if the additional feature was not there - ie the disabled person would be unable to continue living there, their health would suffer or their disability would become more severe.

Reduction amount.

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the valuation band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list.

For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to that for a band C.

This will not affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list.

If your home is in band A (the lowest Council Tax band) a reduction of 1/9 of the band D Council Tax would apply.

How to apply for a disabled person reduction.

Apply for a disabled person reduction

Please ensure you continue to pay your current Council Tax bill while awaiting the outcome of the application. Visit the information page if you are having Problems Paying your Bill or contact us immediately.

Cancel a disabled person reduction online

You must notify the Council immediately of any changes in your personal circumstances, living arrangements or financial situation which could affect your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction.

Please write to:

Council Tax

Oldway House
CF39 9ST

Telephone: 01443 425002
Minicom: 01443 680708