Skip to main content

Accessing CCTV images of yourself

What is my right?

You have the right to see CCTV images of yourself as part of your subject access rights and to be provided with a copy of the images. 

You are entitled to request access where you are the focus of the footage and for the specific period that you are in focus.  You are not entitled to footage that contains images or information of others.

Further information on your right of access can be found here

How long does the Council keep CCTV recordings?

CCTV images are retained for 31 days pending a formal request.

How do I make a request for CCTV footage of myself?

Requests may be made in writing (letter/email) or verbally to the Council.  Where requests are made verbally proof of identity and address will need to be sent to us separately.  If you need to make alternative arrangements due to your protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010, we will make suitable adjustments.

What information do I need to provide when making a request?

The request must include enough information for us to be able to identify you and the footage you are requesting i.e. date/time footage was taken, location, description of the footage, what clothing you were wearing etc.  Providing us with as much information as possible will help us locate the footage you are requesting more easily, enabling us to respond to your request more quickly.

Alternatively, the Council has developed a form to make it easier for you to make a request. We strongly recommend that you use the form as it asks you to provide all of the information we need to locate the footage and respond to your request (although it is not compulsory).

CCTV request form can be accessed here

Do I need to prove my identity when making a request?

In order for us to be sure that we are providing the right information to the right person and to speed up your request we ask that you provide us with proof of your identity and address when making the request.  As you are requesting CCTV footage we will need photo ID such as a passport or a driving licence to identify you.

The following lists the documents that will be accepted as evidence. Copies will be accepted, but we may request sight of original documentation if there is a query as to your identity.


  • Passport
  • Driving Licence (Full or provisional)
  • Birth / Adoption Certificate
  • Marriage / Civil Partnership Certificate
  • HM Forces ID Card
  • EU National Identity Card
  • Concessionary bus pass / Disabled bus pass
  • Blue Badge


  • Recent government (DWP, HMRC) letter / document e.g. P45/P60, benefits, pension’s award letter etc.
  • Bank / Building Society / Credit Card statement
  • Recent utility bill - electricity, gas, water, telephone, mobile phone etc.

Where should the request be sent?

Requests and the supporting evidence (proof of identity and address) can be emailed to RCTCBC or posted to:

Rheoli gwybodaeth/Information Management  
Canolfan Hamdden Rhondda Fach|Rhondda Fach Leisure Centre
CF43 3HR

**For security reasons please do not send original documents in the post. **

What happens when the Council receives my request?

Upon receipt of your request we will check the details to ensure that we have everything we need to proceed with your request. If we have all the information we need your request will be validated. We will then write to you (usually by email if you have provided us with your email address, if not letter) providing a reference number for your request and a date by which you can expect to receive a response.

If we do not have all of the information we need to proceed with your request we will contact you to obtain further information. This may be by email, telephone or letter depending on the contact information you have provided us with. 

How long does the Council have to comply with my request?

Once a request has been validated the Council has 1 month to provide you with the footage.

How will I receive the information?

We will provide the footage to you by secure email. If you do not have access to an email account we will work with you to find an alternative way to make the information available to you – this may, for example be, an invitation to view the footage in person at a Council office at a mutually convenient time.

No. The right of access only allows you to access personal information about yourself.

Find out more about the Councils use of CCTV